TZT2 integration w/ Nav Pilot 500

D

DTrol

I am planning the replacement of my Northstar 972 with a new TZT2. The 972, which "drove" the autopilot, was integrated with my Navnet system including the Nav pilot 500 and FAP 5002 processor. I Also have a Furuno monitor as part of the Navnet system which is integrated with my Furuno radar. I have attached a sketch of my existing processor wiring.

Any advice on how best to integrate the new TZT2? I plan to keep the Furuno components functioning as-is for the most part and simply want to replace the 972 with the TZT2.

Will I need to convert the NMEA 0183 from my autopilot to NMEA 2000 in order to receive data from my existing devices and sensors to the new TZT2? Or do I simply output from the NMEA 0183 port on the TZT2 to the autopilot?

Assuming I need to convert NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000, is the IF-NMEA2K2 the appropriate converter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 1,494
The color code of the RD30 wiring appears to have been drawn in reverse. It reflects white/blue (RD30) output going to the pilot output. For this discussion it really doesn't matter. If the RD30 is wired and working, leave it as is.

Ideally, the only connection change will be using the wires where your 972 used to attach to the pilot. When the 972 is removed, you will replace the 972 output (pilot input) with your new TZT2 NMEA 0183 output wires. The TZT2 NMEA 0183 output wires will be WHITE + and BLUE - from the 11 pin multi wire coming from the back of the unit. The 972 was most likely connected to TB7 pins 3 (+) and 4 (-). You would replace these with the TZT wiring.

Once wired, you will need to turn on the NMEA 0183 sentences from the TZT2 to drive the pilot. (HOME - SETTINGS - INITAL SETUP - NMEA 0183 OUTPUT - turn on the following items: APB, GGA, RMB, VTG, XTE, ZDA

Thank you - that is helpful and relatively simple.

To be certain, will you clarify the exact location/port of "TB7 pins 3 (+) and 4 (-)"? Is this the NMEA in/out?

Back