Radar Settings with TZT 2

A

Anonymous

I cannot find the echo stretch and echo averaging settings in the radar menus of my new TZT 2 15s and the manual makes no reference to them. I have a TZT 9 also in the system and it has these settings under radar filters along with interference but I don't see them on the TZT 2. The array is a DRS 12A and otherwise works very well.

This is a little strange because every Furuno radar I have had going back to VX2 and NavNet 3D had those settings.

Is that going to change? I have found echo averaging quite useful over the years. I looked back over the TZT 2 brochure and it makes no mention of its inability to provide this function, which as far as I know has been standard on Furuno radars for many years. A typical user like me is not necessarily aware of which functions are dependent upon the radar array and which are done by the MFD, especially with a networked radar like the DRS 12A.

How about echo trails? I can't find that setting either but page 1-22 of the manual states "The trail of targets can be shown in afterglow to monitor their movements."

I really think these are navigation safety-related features and should not have been disabled on the TZT 2. They affect the ability of the radar display to show exactly the sort of targets that are most critical, which are moving vessels, especially smaller ones where the stretch, averaging, and trails functions give them more visibility on the screen especially with larger waves. A container ship is going to show up just fine, it's seeing the 20 foot center console where these functions are most useful -- and especially important since those boats usually don't have radar and won't be able to see you in the fog.

CC32, I have forwarded your requests onto our USA based product development team. They will be sending your feedback on to the parent company in Japan, where they will study it further to see if/how they can implement these features into a future software update. We will post an update if we hear news back from them. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback! :respect

Thanks. I have met the product manager a few times over the years. I hope he does his best to persuade the powers that be in Japan to make the necessary changes to the software.

Virtually every other function available in the TZT software was carried over to the TZT 2. I hope this serious flaw in an otherwise excellent system will be corrected. The quality and performance of Furuno radar has always been a major reason for why I (and I believe many other people) buy your MFDs over the years.

Back