TZT2 4.01 UPDATE

P

playin catch

i read on the Furuno site that tzt2 has 4.01 update available and i was curious if anyone has installed it and used it. Also I'm curious if it is a SD card update or a USB update

thanks Bob

I've installed it. Yay echo trails on the RADAR!

Seems to be a few minor feature improvements, plus some textures on the screen chrome but nothing Major, e.g. I can't see why this is 4.01, it seems more 3.02 :( at least there is an eGuide with this version! The release notes only seem to give minor stuff as well.

I'm still getting issues with the data sources selection and it still freezes occasionally, but I have seen an improvement in ARPA response, gestures being recognised and edge swipes seem to be a bit more reliable.

I installed it from the SD card as that seems the most reliable method if you have an old sd card kicking around. It can be quite picky on SD cards for installing firmware (but the instructions say do it that way!) I expect the USB would work as well (I know a Furuno agent here that only ever updates using the USB)

Good luck!

Per the release instructions, the update can not be done by wifi because it is both an app and OS update. I think this explains the result you are seeing. It has to be done with a card not wifi.

I spent a couple hours trying ton install the new v4 software update tonight with no results. I've got two 15 inch TZT2 devices. Both are connected to external USB card readers (Furuno part). I downloaded and copied the files to a micro SD card and powered up the device, it did not read the files from the card but simply went into normal boot mode. Tried this on the other device, same result. Then I tried copying the files to an USB thumb drive - same result on both TZT2 devices. Finally, I opened up my dash so that I could access the card slots on the back of the devices as a last resort and again no results. I am following the instructions verbatim that are on the Furuno website.

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... edures.pdf

Finally, why does in still say like the post above "your software is up to date, v2" when I go in and check for software updates while running the latest version of V3?

Any guidance and advice much appreciated!!

When you check the version using the update in the machine you are using the wifi update process. This process can only update if the particular software update is a APPLICATION only update. The last APP update was to version 2. You are as up to date as far as the wifi process can take you. Version 3 was an APP and OS update as is this new version 4. As previously explained when the OPERATING SYSTEM (OS) needs updating it can NOT be done via wifi. You must conduct the update via micro SD card from the back of the unit. You can not use the USB even if that USB has a SD card reader plugged in. The instructions and software are designed to use the SD card reader located at the back of the unit. If the software is properly put on a card, that card is put into the back of the unit, and then the unit is turned on, it should work as it has already for many customers. The pre-configured SD upgrade cards can also be ordered from your Furuno dealer.

Noticed that the 4.01 update has the ability to enter / display phantom Loran C TDs. Is there a way to set the Loran Station and GRI?

I understand that this update needs to be done via the micro SD card and as I stated above, I tried doing that with the card slot on the both of my TZT2 devices and it did not read the files from the card and update when powered on.

Is there anything that I should check that may be a potential point of failure? All of the files were in the root directory of the card. It was formatted to FAT32 in my computer. Should I try formatting the card another way and re-copying the files?

The Software Update Procedures document indicates that there should be 5 files in the .zip file, but I find only 4 (missing ubootuppg.bin). Is this a cause for concern?

Search for a related thread titled "Software Update Ignored". The unit is finicky regarding the card used, and even after you find a card that works, it may not work (update) every time. Suggest you delete the files on the SD card and reload as I noticed the update process, successful or not, was adding an empty dir to the card (forget the name). Seems the older, smaller SD cards work better that others. When you get a card that works, put it in a safe place! I posted a thread a yr or so ago w/ other info on this; for get the title and I've not yet figured out how to link to other threads yet.

The 4.01 update does not require the 5th file. The instructions were from 3.01 which had that file. Thanks for pointing it out, we will edit the instructions. Just to make sure I downloaded the files from our web site and it updated a unit just fine. Make sure the micro SD is in normal SD format. If someone formats it with apple format or NTSF, it wont work. You also must unzip the file after downloading and copy the four files to the ROOT of the SD card. If you leave the files inside a folder, it will not work.

I finally got this update to install correctly on my two TZT2 15 inch displays. I purchased an 8GB sandisk card and copied the same files that I had tried to install with other cards the exact same way and it just worked. Why the card matters, I do not understand.

Anyway, I have not had a chance to use the system underway with the new updates but one thing that I immediately checked and verified is that the remote app now works on iOs. This is huge as now I can control my autopilot remotely. Looking forward to trying it next time I take the boat out.

Back