TZT2 bottom discrimination

Hi,

I've installed a TZT2-12F into my boat which has an old (about 2005) B744V transducer already in the hull from a Raymarine C80. To save installing a new tdr I cut the Raymarine plug off the tdr and connected a Furuno 10pin from an old Furuno 10 pin tdr that I had. I've only connected BLUE, White & Screen (HF/LF wires). In the sounder menu I selected 525STID-MSD. The transducer is working fine, I get good sounding (obviously no speed and temp) but I cannot get Bottom Discrimination to work. When turned ON it's just blank, no detail. Have I done anything wrong, missed a setting or will my old B744 not work on BDM.

Thanks in advance

Good morning Capt. Jack,

Thank you for your inquiry. Couple things, when you select a transducer in the Transducer Setup Menu, in your case chose the 525STID-MSD, the TZT2 will look for the TI-D data from the transducer. That transducer is a TI-D transducer and it has a small IC chip that sends specifics about the transducer to the TZT2. If the TZT2 is looking for the 525STID-MSD and it is not getting the TI-D data from the transducer some of the features will not be available on the TZT2 like bottom discrimination. You could try a couple things, you could wire the TI-D wires into the connector to see if it unlocks that feature. Or you could change the transducer setup menu to a transducer that is not a TI-D transducer. However, when you choose a transducer in the setup menu TZT2 is pre-programmed to use certain characteristics of each model of transducer that is available. The transducers have been tested and calibrated to achieve the level of accuracy needed for Bottom Discrimination. So if you choose a different transducer the TZT2 will think that specific transducer is connected and calibrate itself to use the transducer specifics to make BD work properly. If you are not using that specific transducer the feature may not be as accurate as it could be.

C-Bass

Back