New DRS>TZT14<FA170 heading input?

S

sangriafleet

Hello!

I have a newly installed DRS4D run to a pair of direct port networked TZT14s. With the last remaining ethernet port, I'm bringing in an FA-170 for AIS and GPS inputs.

I have an existing AD-100 from a legacy install that I'm hoping to use to bring heading data into the system by routing it to the sensor TB on the FA-1701. Unfortunately it isn't working. Is it possible to accomplish this or am I looking at buying yet more gear?

Are you trying to use AD10 or NMEA 0183 from the AD100? AD10 is an older format that will not be accepted by the FA170. Your AD100 would need to be new enough to provide v2.0 or higher 0183 data. When connecting the FA170 to the NavNet by network, you MUST ensure you place the unit in NavNet mode. The FA170 is an AIS unit so it consumes heading but doesn't provide it. If the purpose of using the AD100 to provide heading to the the NavNet, it won't work. The FA170 will not pass on any heading data on that it receives.

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking to use the 0183 output but if running it through the FA-1701 won't do what I want, can I use a NMEA converter and take the heading straight into the TZT?

Yes, if you have NMEA 0183 source of heading (say from an output on the AD100) then a converter like the IF-NMEA2k2 can convert the data. It would connect to your NMEA 2000 bus for the TZT to use.

Back