TZT14 Heading Lost with Radar

Mangler

I had a new issue come up, and I am hoping someone can help. I previously had no issues running radar, but this trip I did. The issue came about with Radar on, I would get an image with radar overlay, then "Heading Lost" with no radar overlay, then it would repeat. I didn't have any issues with the radar on standby. I have made a few change since the system was working fine previously. I added DFF3D, and I moved Radar, AIS and DFF3D power to switches on the dash. I updated to v5.01 and updated maps since I last successful use of radar.

I am guessing it is a signal issue. The only think I can think of that changed was cable routing, but I didn't think it was significantly different. Any other ideas? It was cyclic/intermittent which was different enough for me to post here first before diving into it. I will attach a few images for ref...with and without radar overlay.

AIS isn't working properly either, but I added the pass through late at night...guessing user error on that one and should be a "quick fix".

Thanks!

Attachments

• no overlay p.jpg
    no overlay p.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,514
  • overlay sm p.jpg
    overlay sm p.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,514
I did a little more troubleshooting over the weekend. Everything works fine until I turn on power to the radar. Now I get "Position Lost" with the just power to the PSU(starting with PSU on and turning it on while I have the TZT running). I will get position for about 6 seconds, then "position lost" for a few beeps then repeats. If I turn off the the breaker to the PSU I get both heading lost and position lost. If I reboot with the PSU off everything works fine.

The things that have changed since system last worked with radar were updating the TZT14 to v5.01, moving the power for the PSU and AIS to switches on the dash and added DFF3D. The location of the PSU and heading sensor have not changed. DFF3D and AIS are about 18" from the heading sensor, but they don't cause the position lost. The issue seems like an interference issue. I guess my next step would be rerouting the power for the PSU away from the other cables. Any other ideas?

This sounds like something you should be working under an official support case with Tech support. I would check that the DFF3D transducer has the shield wires all properly grounded just inside the box. This is one of the most common install mistakes that creates problems. If that isn't it I would recommend opening a support case so they can assist you determine what might be causing the problem.

Solved the issue, simple fix I should have figured out earlier. I moved the Radar power to a switch on the dash to turn off when not in use (high current draw on stand by). I found that if the radar power supply is turned OFF or ON during use OR anytime during startup of the TZT14(my issue) I will get "Heading Lost" or "Position Lost". If I turn on the radar PSU prior to powering up the TZT14 everything works fine.

Back