Hybrid NN3D and TZT System with DFF3D

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
This is the 1st report after running the system for startup testing. This is a garage report only, will be another week or so before I'll be ready for the water.

I've been asking lots of questions about a MDF8/TZT9 hybrid system running a DFF3D and appreciate all the comments and feedback. The autopilot is not connected up yet but everything else is. Started it up last night and all is good. The MFD8 shows both the DFF1 and DFF3D as source choices (I was not sure if the MFD8 would show it or not) and the DFF1 was selected as the sounder source.

Over the the TZT9 . . and voila . . the new "Multibeam Sounder" sub-menu was there, just like you said it would be. So there is no device selection/assignment process for the MFD8. The TZT just sees the DFF3D and puts up the sub-menu as well as its three display screens. Another side note is that I expected to have to select the DFF1 as the sounder each time I start up because I'm not using power on synchronization and the DFF1 DIPs are set to default. This was not the case, the DFF1 was selected upon startup.

Ran multiple combinations of screens on both units and everything worked fine. I'm still wondering how I use/display the SST for the DFF3D. From what I could see the SST was coming from the B117 thru-hull transducer. I would think that there is some way on the TZT to display the DFF3D SST.

EDIT1 TO ADD: I ran the installation wizard on the MFD8 to add a C-Map update with the whole system running and it stopped progress on "sounder or changing sounder". Of course it would since it's not programmed to handle the DF3D, so I switched off the power to the DFF3D and the MFD8 just continued on fine with the installation wizard. Finished the wizard and switched the DF3D back on. All was fine. The TZT displays warning notices for lost devices while the MFD8 is booting, but all is fine once it boots back up.

I'll post up more findings as I get the final installation completed and get out on the water.

Should this post be on this forum or would it be more suited to the DFF3D forum?

This tropic area works good since the focus is more about integration than actual sounder operations. Nice update of your progress.

EDITED to say that after all the work to try and keep the combined NN3D and TZT system, I've moved forward with replacing the MFD8 with a TZTL12F. The MFD8/TZT do work together, but the capability of the TZT is just too limited.

The installation is the same with the exception of the TZTL12F mounted on the dash in place of the MFD8. Here are some pictures of the installation FYI. You need to right click and open each in new tab to see the whole images. The Parker 2530 has a box that the helm seat mounts on top of and I've used the box for the FAP7002, DFF1 and HUB101. Next to this box is the DFF3D and HRP11. The PG700 is mounted below deck about in between the helm chairs.

The switch panel in the DFF3D pic is for the HUB101, DFF1, DFF3D and my squid light. The six position switch panel right of the helm in the dash pic is N2K, DRS, Cabin Lights, Stereo, Starb. Bait Pump and Port Bait Pump from top to bottom.

Note that I'm going to clean up the wiring around the DFF3D. I have not drilled the hole through the transom yet and I'm running the transducer wires temporarily for testing.

Dash Front
Parker2530Dash_03162018.jpg

Dash Back
DashWiring2_Feb2018.jpg

Helm seat box with FAP7002, DFF1 and HUB101
HelmSeatBoxElectronics_Feb2018.jpg

DFF3D mounted
DFF3D_Mounting_Feb2018.jpg

HRP11
AP_Pump_Feb2018.jpg

Back