TZT CANNOT RECEIVE HEADING DATA POST UPDATE?

Septimus

Furuno Fan
Hello,

I recently updated TZT (to 4.12) wirelessly on the boat, and now seem to have a bit of an issue with heading data on TZT?
This is the error message on booting up NavPilot:-
- "Cannont receive heading data. Please check heading sensor. Push any key to continue".
- Start Up Test: - "Heading Sensor: NG".

Can I please get correct settings for data source etc in Network Sensors and Data Source setup screens, given I am running a SC-50, GP-330, NavPilot-711, Pump Accu-Steer, (DFF1-UHD, DRS4D Radar Sensor 24" Radome)? All circa 2012 installation.

Also:-
- is it possible for me to upgrade my NavPilot for Sabiki mode?
- is 4.12 the latest software version for TZT?
- is it typical for the above settings (Data Source, etc) to be modified on TZT software update?
Thanks in anticipation of your reply - any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Septimus.

Good morning Septimus,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So you updated the TZT unit to version 4.12 and after doing that you lost heading on your NavPilot and also your TZT? That is a first for me :D

Hopefully I will be able to give you a couple of ideas to start your troubleshooting process.

Based on list of products that you provided below I can only guess how the data is distributed. Because the TZT only works with N2K then I have to assume the SC50 is wired to the NavPilot Processor via 0183 on 1 of two ports? I would then guess the NavPilot is also connected to an N2K backbone so it can distribute this heading data to the TZT and also get waypoint and route information from the TZT?

We need to figure out why the NavPilot is no longer looking at the correct NMEA0183 for heading data, or it could be a mix of heading and GPS data.

Do you know what port the SC50 talks to the Navpilot on?
Do you know what port the NavPilot is receiving the SC50 data on?

We will need to confirm what ports those are and verify that the SC50 is configured to properly talk with the NavPilot. Verifying the Baud Rate, and Output NMEA0183 data sentences from the SC50 is a good place to start. Checking the NavPilot NMEA0183 baud rate settings would be your next step.

On the NavPilot 711 has (2) NMEA0183 ports that can receive and also distribute NMEA0183 data. The NavPilot 711 gives you the ability to see what data is coming into each respective port in Reverse Video. The NMEA0183 data coming into the ports will have a Black Square around the (3) letter NMEA data string. When you see the black box around the letters that confirms that particular data sentence is recognized on the NavPilot. Please follow the instructions below and report back what data is coming into the NavPilot?

NavPilot 711 Installation Mode:
Hold down the "Menu" key while pressing the Rotokey in (3) times.
Next choose "NMEA 0183 Setup"
Next Choose "Port 1 or Port 2." You want to choose the port that the SC50 is connected to.
It will show you the photo below. Verify the port is operating at the same baud rate as the SC50 Output port that the NavPilot is connected to. If the SC50 is set to 38,400 baud please make sure the NavPilot is set to the same baud rate. Or if it is set to 4800 please change so that both units are operating the interconnected ports at the same baud rate.

NavPilot Port Setup.JPG

Next choose "Incoming Data." You will see a series of (3) letter data sentences. Please report back which values are in reverse video like the photo below.

NMEA 0183 reverse video.jpg

Please report back to the forum with your findings and we can go to the next level in the process.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Hello C-Bass,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Sorry, my mistake - lost heading source on NavPiilot, not TZT.
I suspect the settings in Data Source panel on TZT.
Can you please confirm, what those settings should be?
Also, can I upgrade my NavPilot 711 for Sabiki mode?

Thanks again.

Good afternoon Septimus,

I can't really tell you what the settings should be for the NMEA0183 port on the NavPilot because I don't know how you have the SC50 setup. Please follow the instructions in the previous email and confirm what you find. After that we will need to do a little more programming but i don't know what it will be until you get your results.

C-Bass

Hello C-Bass,

Went for a run today, after changing a couple of settings in Data Source.
Seems to be working fine - so hopefully fixed!
I will be in touch with information you requested if it fails again.
Thanks for your replies.
Are you able to confirm that my NavPilot is compatible with Sabiki Mode and if so, does it require a software upgrade to install (and where is this available)?

Thanks again and regards,

Septimus.

Back