TZT9 with dual sounders

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I'm about to replace my MFD8 with a TZT9. I'll probably also pick up a DFF3D soon and would like to know how a dual sounder (DFF1 and DFF3D) system works with the TZT. I remember reading somewhere that you can have two sounders on a navnet system but need to know how it works. Can you only select one at a time? Is it simple and fast to switch between sounders? Is there any documentation that describes this in more detail?

MarMax,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Yes; the TZT9 can control and display two separate sounders; usually the rule is that only a single DFF sounder source can be displayed at any one time (not simultaneously) on one MFD unit. HOWEVER the DFF-3D is the one DFF that is the exception to this rule. You can both the DFF1 (set as the sounder source in TZT9 sounder menu) and the DFF3D at the same time. Be aware that is you split the DFf1 & The DFF3D to display at the same time, each on 1/2 a page, you will only be able to display the Dff3D's "triple beam" and "side scan" view. No 3D history or Cross Section view (1/4 page or Full page only). Remember to properly configure the transducers for each the DFF1 and the DFF3D separately each in their respective menu sections.

Thank you Flatline. I guess another option is to run both NN3D and TZT together, this way I can get full sounder screens, running the 3D on the TZT and DFF1 on the MDF8. I'll have to wait until the TZT arrives and see if I can fit it somewhere on the dash without being in the way.

I believe that NN3D needs to be the boss (master) with this combination. I'd also like to confirm that both sounders can be run as stated above and if there are any special configuration needs to do so. The MFD is flush mounted in the dash and connected to the HUB101, N2K network and powers the DRS4D. If it will fit, the TZT would be desktop mounted with just power and Ethernet cables.

Having the DFF3D on a NN3D network is unsupported and you might get problems. The DFF3D sounder is only for the TZT and TZT2 systems.

Johnny E,

I would like a little more information before I try anything. I understand the NN3D can not run the DFF3D but it's still not clear if having a DFF3D connected to the HUB101 will cause any problems with the MFD8.

If there is no possibility of damaging any components I'd like to try connecting the TZT to the HUB101 with the NN3D system and see if the DFF1 continues to work with the MFD8 and see if the TZT will run the DFF3D without problems. It sounds like this combination has not been tested. Is this something that Furuno could run a quick test with and provide some feedback?

I don't think you will really damage anything. Because the NN3D doesn't support the sounder, you will be coloring outside the lines. For example, I know for a fact that if you connect the new X radars designed for the TZT and TZT2 systems into a NN3D network it will cause all kinds of havoc. Maybe you can get by with it, maybe you will get crazy software things pop up here and there, or it is might just go nuts. Never tried it because it isn't supported. Best case maybe select the DFF3D sounder on the TZT and the DFF1 on the NN3D and cross your fingers. Let us know how your experiment goes. Although not officially supported maybe it will work out.

Johnny E,

I'm going to put my question up in the Communication forum since it's more appropriate.

Back