Tz touch14 and Autopilot lose position and heading

A

Anonymous

So per Honda marine, my mechanic had to install a relay inline for my ignition switch after one of the nema gauges for my engines stopped working.

Now when I shut off the engine my tztouch and autopilot lose position and heading info. If i leave the engines running everything is fine.

The sources for the position and heading are Honda BF250 PGM-FI.

To me it sounds strange that the honda nema is my data source and not my furuno GP330 sensor. Yet the Honda nema is my only option in the data source list

Is my data source set up correctly?

Thanks

Attachments

• furuno1.jpg
    furuno1.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 1,894
  • furuno2.jpg
    furuno2.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 1,894
Thank you for the inquiry.
"....Yet the Honda nema is my only option in the data source list"

in the data source list, under the column labeled PREFERRED, the boxes for position, date/time, and heading it currently shows that HONDA engine info is the source. If you click on the little drop down arrow next to the Honda engine currently selected, are you given the choice to select the GP330B as possible selection? If so, please set this as the preferred source of position, date & time. The GP330B does not provide heading , you would need another source (such as the PG700 compass).

For the drop down only the honda is the source available, there are no other choices to pick.

Pugz,
Take a look at your sensor list and pay close attention to the "Nicknames" that you can set for each device. the Nicknames that you set will also reflect on the data source page.

For example: If I set my GP-330B's nickname to "DB", then when I go to my data source page and select a position source, the "DB" nickname will show up instead of GP-330B.

That being said, your nicknames are set to the same name and also incorrect names that probably make it really confusing when selecting correct data sources like you are experiencing.

First step is to change the nicknames of the GP-330B, PG-700, and Honda Marine NMEA interface to reflect their actual equipment name/nomenclature, in the sensor list page.

Now for loss of data issue when you turn off the engines:
It would be VERY beneficial if you had any sort of schematics or interconnection diagrams that show what was done once the relay was installed and what type of lines/wires/data that is going through that relay.
If I had to guess, I would assume the relay was installed to route power to a system or device. That being said, your GP-330B and PG-700 get power from the NMEA2000 bus (aka backbone) and the bus has a "power tee" which powers up the bus.
99% of the time a NMEA2000 bus will get supplied power from a circuit breaker panel and the NMEA2000 bus should be on its own breaker (which would allow the NMEA devices to stay on until you shut off the breaker).
My guess is for some reason the relay may be switching power on and off to your NMEA2000 bus which would cause the same issue that you are dealing with on the boat.
Once again, this is just my assumption, I would recommend to speak with your mechanic and figure out what the installed relay is doing. Is it routing power to the NMEA bus once the ignition key is turned to on? Or when engines are on?

Attachments

• furuno2.jpg
    furuno2.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 1,881
Good catch on the nickmanes, I didnt notice that.

The relay was installed to protect the Honda nema gauges.

Pugz,
Also, I noticed that your TZT has old software. I highly recommend to update your TZT to the latest software (Version 5.01).

Back