Updating dual TZTouch software

I have two TZtouch14's installed and am receiving notice on one unit that there is an update available. Both are running the same software level.

It's probbly staring me in the face but I could not find an answer to this question - is there an order to which I should update them? For instance, Master first then the slaved unit?

Thank you

You should update one, while the other is turned off. Then do the same to the second. It doesn't matter which you decide to do first.

If the unit is telling you there is newer software (Wi-Fi update) then your software is really old. The Wi-Fi update will not bring the machines up to the most current software because the last several versions also required an OS update that can not be done via Wi-Fi. You might consider just downloading the newest software from our website (under the product page) and getting completely up to date at once.

Hoping for further guidance.

My current installed software rev is 4.0.1. The update notice I get when powering up says "4.2.1 is available for update (180MB)". I have version 5.01 on an SD card that I plug into the right slot when the unit is running per the software update instructions. Nothing happens. If I put the 5.01 card in the reader with the unit powered off and then turn on the power, the screen remains black and nothing happens (I waited for 15 minutes). I then pulled the card and the unit went through normal power up with version 4.0.1 still installed

Do I have to install 4.2.1 before it will recognize the 5.01 card?

Thanks

A bit more info - SW update instructions state that a folder "FEC" will be created upon unzipping the 5.01 software package and that folder should be copied along with it's content to the root of the formatted SC card. However, when unzipped, the top level folder is named "OSandApp" which is what I put into the chart plotter and nothing happened. Rereading the instructions, I noticed this name difference so I changed the top level folder name to "FEC".

When I insert the card into the right slot a brief message appears on the plotter saying something to the effect "SCanning drives" but nothing happens after that.

ANy guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like someone zipped the software wrong. If you open the folder (not rename it) you should find the files you need. If you get stuck, give the techs a call and they can talk you though it. I will check into the zip file that is posted.

Thanks Johnny. I see all the files listed in the instructions under the OSandApp folder, however, the chartplotter does not seem to recognize them as the files needed to update.

Should I be able to update directly from 4.0.1 to 5.01 without the intermediate updates installed?

There is no problem updating from 4.01 to 5.01
It most likely has to do with the SD card being used. (Formatting/Size/Brand)

The numbers are located under "Get Support" then "Ask a question".

You can also reach our tech support at the following numbers:
Camas, WA - (360) 834-9300 - 8:00am - 5:00pm PST Monday-Friday
Denton, MD - (410) 479-4420 - 8:00am - 5:00pm EST Monday-Friday

Hey Johnny,

Quick follow-up to close this out. I contacted support. They were very helpful. I had errored and was using incremental update instructions rather than full OS instructions. In full OS update, the actual files under the top level directory get put at the SDcard root and one inserts the ard before powering up the display. Just the opposite occurs when doing an incremental. My bad and my apology.

Having now completed the update both displays are running 5.01. The only issue I see is the charts are "jittering" back and forth as if some parameter (heading?) is changing rapidly. Seems a setting for dampening (if there is one - I'm still reading the manual) got reset during the settings restore but I can't find it. Would you happen to know which menu item controls this?

Thanks again for your help. I'm learning...slowly :furuno

Glad to hear our support fixed you up. Considering the movement you describe on the chart, I agree that it is something with your heading or you have your boat icon set to COG instead of heading. (Menu - Ship&Track - Icon orientation) COG is unstable when your not moving. (COG requires 3 knots or better to be considered valid information) I would also recommend checking what heading source you have as "Preferred" under your Data Sources. You can dampen the heading under initial setup but it isn't normally needed. Keep in mind at the dock with waves rocking the boat, it is normal to have a little movement.

Hi!
I have the same problem as you describe charts are "jittering" back and forth, have you found any solution?

I would recommend you contact tech support. What you describe could be related to bad heading, bad COG/SOG from a GPS, or other issue. They can walk through a lot of trouble shooting while you are at the boat and help narrow it down.

Yes, 5.01 is currently the most up to date software released.

Back