Heading calibration does nothing?

A

Anonymous

Have a TZT14 getting a bad signal from a PG-700. Of course the right thing to do is to calibrate the compass directly but as a quick fix I tried setting +10 in Calibration - Heading in the Initial Setup section of the main menu. However this has no effect. Am I misunderstanding what the field is for?

Is the PG700 connected to our autopilot? If yes do the calibration from there.

Yes, however the autopilot (711 & 711c) shows the correct heading. I tried to check if that is a result of data offset entered into the autopilot but I can't find a way to bring up the Installation menu. Which is also required to do the calibration procedure.

Also while this is the proper solution I'm still wondering why the offset data in the plotter isn't applied.

What is the version of software in the pilot control head and processor? What version is in the TZT? As Melville said, normally you setup the compass from the pilot Sea Trail area and any offset applied will offset the compass heading coming out of the compass. You have the autopilot setup for MAG and the TZT setup to show MAG?

Processor 6454007-01.21
Controller 6454021-01.05
TZT14 1950123-04.21

You solved one issue with your Q about heading mode: plotter was on magnetic and the heading calibration does not apply to it. I updated to true and now offset is applied. Yay!

Now part 2: still can't figure out how to get to the Sea Trial menu. Supposed to be within the installation menu but appears to be no way to get to it other than during the first install.

Hold MENU and immediately (I mean immediately and quickly) push the knob three times to get into the pilot install mode. Then select "Seatrial".

Got it! Thanks Johnny.
Wish that was in the manual.

Now here's hoping calibration actually corrects the reading.

hey,
we've been trying to set the tzt14 to show the vessel icon aligned head up and to get the heading to show correct angle / bearing. but we havent been able to calibrate the bearing ring shown on the map view. neither the initial setup heading aligment or the setting under the radar settings does not update / have effect to the heading angle shown.

heading seems to get data from pg-700 which seems to show wrong bearing data

We dont have autopilot.

help would be strongly appreciated.

Back