Swapping NN3D 12MFD with a TZtouch14

G

Gyda

I intend swapping a NN3D 12MFD with a new TZtouch14. The NN3D 12MFD is mounted in a box at the helm pidestall (sailboat) without any access other than through the hole that occurs when removing the MFD. There are no lid or other opening in the box.
Will it be possible to flush mount the TZtouch14 in the same hole as where the MFD12 used to be?
Gyda (2).jpg
Does the TZtouch14 have the same type of wiring as the NN3D MFD12, so that I can plug the TZtouch1 on to the wiring that are already there from the MFD12 unit?

Our system to day consists of: DSR4D radar, FA50 AIS, DFF1 fish finder, and a FAX30 weather fax connected to the MFD via HUB101. A SC30 GPS compass and B&G wind, depth and speed sensors via NMEA2000 CAN bus.
I also plan to install a NAVpilot 711C, change the FA50 AIS for a FA150 together with the new TZtouch14. Any issues I should take into considerations before I go ahead with the project and purchase the new units?

Gyda,

The Dimensions of the TZT14 are different from the MFD12 so replacing it into flush mount without any adjustments is improbable.

The TZT14 has the same wiring via network,power but not the 18 pin pigtail. The TZT14 doesn't have any NMEA0183 option to input/output which the MFD12 does.

The product listings look well for but please substitute the FA150 with the FA170.
As the FA150 is no longer available.

Regards,

Mr.Radar

Thanks for your answers. They are really useful.

There are two “non Furuno” systems on board playing on the NN3D MFD to day, which I really want to keep on the new TZT14:
B&G wind, depth and speed. Since the TZT14 don’t have a NMEA0183 input/ output, what will be the best way to get this data integrated into the Furuno system/ TZT14?

Echopilot FLS Platinum Engine(forward looking sonar) is connected to the NN3D MFD via S-video interface. If I´ve got it right the TZT14 doesn`t have S-video input, but can it take composite Video input?

Would it be fair to anticipate that the Rotokey and sd-card slots on the TZT14 are waterproof at the same level as the NN3D MFD? (I haven´t experienced any problems regarding leaks or water getting into my 9 years old NN3D plotter).

Regarding forward looking sonar, any idea when Furuno will come on the market with this feature integrated in the plotters like the one from Simrad and B&G?

The NN3D didn't have Svideo input either. If you have the video into the NN3D, it must be going to composite somewhere along the way. The TZT offers the same type of composite inputs as the NN3D.

If you B&G is currently interfaced by NMEA 0183 with you NN3D, I would suggest the IF-NMEA2k2 (NMEA 0183/NMEA2000 converter) to be used for your TZT setup.

Yes the water rating is the same but as with the NN3D it is important to keep the chart door closed when not actively inserting or removing cards.

Ask me that last question after the Miami boat show.

I made contact with Furuno Norway to day, to purchase a TZT14, but to my disappointment they told me the TZT14 is out of the market and no longer will be delivered by Furuno..? Since I´ve come to the conclusion that I´m not able to use a TZT2 plotter, I´m kind of lost here. Is it true that the TZT14 is being terminated?
If so, will there be a successor (hopefully with a rotkey like the one the TZT14 have), and when do that show in the market?
Any suggestions what to do?

BR
Henrik

I contacted Norway and they said they didn't have the units in stock. Unlike the USA they have a very small recreational sales market. They can order you a unit, but they do not have one on hand. The TZT is a full production unit. Of course each distributor can choose not to carry a product based on their market but that doesn't make it discontinued. There were many products of the past that Furuno USA didn't sell like the FI30 instruments. In talking with Furuno Norway, they said they have e-mailed you a quote for a unit if you wish to order one from them. I hope this clears any misunderstanding you have might have had about the TZT14 production.

I´ve just got an e-mail from Furuno Norway telling me they will order one for me after all.
They’re mostly dealing with professional maritimers so they don´t pay much attention to a recreational guy like me, but luckily one of the staff could help.
Thanks a lot for your contribution.. :)

What about forward looking sonar, like the noe Simrad, B&G and Garmin has. When will Furuno com up with that in the TZtouch plotter?
Johnny Electron":3s4iy83g said:
Ask me that last question after the Miami boat show.

The item you refer to is a multi beam fishing sonar.
What I´m looking for is a forward looking sonar that helps navigate in shallow area with limitid maps and soundings, like what we find in high lattitudes in the Arctic.
Several other producers of plotters like Simrad, Garmin and B&G has got it.

We do not offer a Light Marine product with forward scan. We have found based on forward movement of the boat, by the time you see and react to something with a lesser product, you will end up hitting it regardless. We designed and tested a product for this purpose about 15 years ago but found it sounded good on paper but not practical in practice. If forward scan is only or primary concern, then you might consider one of our existing commercial sonars which can look very far ahead.

Back