TZT rebooted

chtucker

Furuno Fan
Had a scary moment today when my TZT9" rebooted in the middle of the shipping channel in dense fog. We had a gold situational awareness and just slowed to a few knts till the plotter came back up.

Is there a boot log or such (like Windows) to see what might have cause this to happen.

Nothing else on that circuit was effected, voltage is fine on the system. Batteries are good. No corrosion, no loose connectors. Just weird, it didn't shut down it actually rebooted.

On that circuit is the N2k drop, HUB101, DFF1 which is a 20amp circuit. Radar power supply is on its own dedicated circuit as well as the FA150 AIS.

Scared me enough to possibly add a 1870 standalone or similar. We have a backup app on the iPad, but that relies on cell data and has no radar (neither does the 1870)

I know that this is most likely troubleshooter as a power issue, but I believe I have looked at the electrical side very closely. I maintain a large fleet of vehicles electrical/in car computer systems. Chassis electrical issues are a daily troubleshoot for me.

Just scary out there with the family.

If not power and grounding, then the most common cause of reboot is the result of a bad NMEA 2000 network. I recommend discussing your system with one of our techs. You could also send your unit in for evaluation if you can't discover the cause. It might be an internal fan or other issue.

Tested batteries OK (load tested)
Voltage at terminals to TZT 12.4VDC with EVERYTHING turned on the boat but pumps. Total current draw of all electrical devices is 15amps, left everything on for 1 hour with engines off. Batteries never dipped below 12.25 volts (Measured at TZT terminals)

Checked grounds, connections, etc and everything looked OK.

I entered "service man" to format an SD card for the software update. I am unsure of what the different fan speeds are supposed to be. The boat has been closed up for a week with ambient temps in the mid 80s (Seattle). Much warmer than when the unit rebooted though. The CPU temp was 50C after running for about an hour with the windows open. The other temps were in the 40s. Is this OK or to warm?

I am pretty confident that the batteries, voltages etc are OK. I checked my ACR charging relays and everything functioned as it should. The only issue I found was a slight need to water the batteries.

I have only seen this once, but it was concerning. I will monitor and keep looking.

Only item that I can find that does not look normal to me is the temps

Ambient temperature of 75 degrees F, Windows and door open on the pilot house (I am comfortable) TZT is bracket mounted on top of the dash. CPU temps were up in high 40s C and crept up to 50 degrees C after having the plotter on for an hour. The fans speeds seemed to be OK (don't know what they are supposed to be)

Howard

The unit can get quite warm without an issue and the unit will alarm if the fan speed drops below limits. I would keep an eye on it. The only thing I have seen cause reboots is duplicate waypoints (same location/same name/etc..), power/gnding, and bad NMEA 2000 buses. If it happens again you might send the unit in for evaluation.

I have seen rebooting when my magnetron was reaching the end of its life. Also years ago in very early days of TZ there was screen freezing caused by bad chart data. I ran my chart plotter for 3,000 miles (18 days) with zero reboots from galapagos to marquesas.
jason

Same here. New install last week. Rebooted once underway, not since, say 20 operating hours ago. Batteries above 12v at the time. Charts noaa s57 as delivered.

I owe you all an apology and explanation!

I highly doubted the N2K network. We had the reboot that I had mentioned and then more recently a lost GPS/Heading alarm for about 5 seconds. I was deep cleaning the boat today and found what I believe to be the issue.

The N2K connector on the back of the TZT9" was found to be loose/bad. I lost GPS signal when I was rotating the TZT up and down trying to dust. I have a mix of cables/Ts? and such.

Time to strip it out and do it right with the matching parts and a N2K multiport instead of a long string of Ts.

Howard

Back