TZT 2 Sounder Options

A

Anonymous

I realize that the product has not been officially released. However, I am having my boat hauled this week and need to make a decision on adding a second transducer so I need to understand what the TZT 2 will allow (assuming I ever get the two displays I plan to install!).

Specifically, my question is if there are two TZT 2 units networked via ethernet, can one be configured to use the internal sounder and the other be set to use a network sounder (in my case the DFF1-UHD that is already installed)?

With the NavNet 3D and TZ units, there is only a global sounder source setting and thus if I had two black box sounders (say a DFF3 and DFF1) and two MFDs, all displays on the network would have to use one or the other of the sounders.

Since the older units do not have a built-in sounder like the TZT 2, I am hoping that the software allows for a choice on a given MFD between the network sounder and the built-in sounder. That is how Garmin and Simrad have implemented their networked MFDs that have built-on sounder circuits so I am hoping Furuno has done the same.

What I want to do is have a wide beam HF transducer connected to one of the TZT 2s and be able to use my PM265LH with the DFF1-UHD at the same time on the other TZT 2 as a network sounder.

Specifically, my question is if there are two TZT 2 units networked via ethernet, can one be configured to use the internal sounder and the other be set to use a network sounder (in my case the DFF1-UHD that is already installed)?

Yes, but you might see some interference if trying to run both sounders at the exact same time. Each display can choose which sounder you wish to look at and control.

What I want to do is have a wide beam HF transducer connected to one of the TZT 2s and be able to use my PM265LH with the DFF1-UHD at the same time on the other TZT 2 as a network sounder.

It is possible.

Thanks, that is just what I was hoping.

If I have the DFF1-UHD displaying in low frequency mode only, is it still transmitting the high frequency pulses? Or do I have to stop it transmitting altogether to avoid interference (assuming filtering doesn't work).

If you have accu-fish or bottom discrimination turned on; it will be still be using both freqs, even if you are viewing single. If you turn these features off, then it will only transmit the single HF or LF freq range. From what I have seen, the interference is little to none because of the digital filtering/interference rejection of both units, but every install is different.

Don't mean to hijack the post but I have some related questions. Will the TZT 2 (built in) sonar have the ability to run a chirp transducer in the same manner that the FCV-295? Does REZBOUST require a particular transducer or will it work with a B164 or TM260? Will sonar playback be available?

thanks!

Will the TZT 2 (built in) sonar have the ability to run a chirp transducer in the same manner that the FCV-295?

No..ResBoost uses normal low cost fixed freq (50/200) transducers. Unlike the commercial FCV295 it does not have a tunable frequency synthesizer. The TZT2 will NOT be able to use CHIRP transducers but will have similar target separation using lower cost transducers. The suitable transducers are listed under the accessories of the TZT2 products.

The TZT has about 4 mins of storage where you can go back in time on the sounder screen but not sure if the new TZT2 will also have this feature. We are still awaiting some of the final details of the release software.

Johnny Electron":2z6qsuzg said:
Will the TZT 2 (built in) sonar have the ability to run a chirp transducer in the same manner that the FCV-295?

No..ResBoost uses normal low cost fixed freq (50/200) transducers. Unlike the commercial FCV295 it does not have a tunable frequency synthesizer. The TZT2 will NOT be able to use CHIRP transducers but will have similar target separation using lower cost transducers. The suitable transducers are listed under the accessories of the TZT2 products.

But presumably there is no reason a broadband CHIRP capable transducer such as a B175C single frequency or B265C would not work with the fixed frequency internal TZT 2 sounder, is there? You would just not have the ability to select frequency or have the spread spectrum CHIRP signal. Airmar's literature seems to suggest that these transducdrs will work in single tone pulse mode. You would be paying for capability you can't access with a fixed frequency sounder, but it would work?

Chip transducer have a high and low transducer connection (+ and - for each = 4 wires).
Commercial sounders like the FCV295 have a high and low connection (4 wires) so it is no problem. Normal sounders like the FCC587,FCV627 or the new RESboost sounder have one combined connection. (2 wires)

It is not possible to use commercial transducer (4 wires) or CHIRP transducer (4 wires) with these units without adding a matching box. (MB1100)

Johnny Electron":1urdosfs said:
Chip transducer have a high and low transducer connection (+ and - for each = 4 wires).
Commercial sounders like the FCV295 have a high and low connection (4 wires) so it is no problem. Normal sounders like the FCC587,FCV627 or the new RESboost sounder have one combined connection. (2 wires)

It is not possible to use commercial transducer (4 wires) or CHIRP transducer (4 wires) with these units without adding a matching box. (MB1100)

Thanks for your patience -- one last question to clarify. If you have a non-diplexed single frequency band CHIRP transducer such as a B175C-HW, would it work without a matching box and just operate at 200Hz with the TZT 2 internal sounder?

It would only work as a basic sounder and that would need to be tested on the production units before that is a solid answer.

The ResBoost and other advanced features require both freqs to work, so under that configuration any new advantages would be null and the cost of the Chirp transducer almost pointless.

Back