Update IF-NMEA2K2 via TZT14?

RickVicik

Furuno Fan
The instructions that came with the IF-NMEA2K2 firmware upgrade package say the update can be done by copying the files to an SD card and importing them by selecting the "Import Update File" option under Menu\Files\General. That is much easier than hooking the RS232 wires to a PC, but those instructions are for NavNet3D. My TZT14 has a similar Menu\Files\General path, but I couldn't find an "Import Update File" option. Is there some other way to do it with a TZT14?
---rick

I updated my IF-NMEA2K2 thru a pc using the serial port. The hardest part was finding an old laptop that still had a serial port other than that I wasn't to hard.
Bruno

I would like to get mine updated to take advantage of the BF AIS targets in the latest 4.01 update. I have a tzt14 and a tzt9 system. I do have a laptop with a serial port. What would I need to connect this to the system to do the update?

I understand the basics of this, just would like clarification on how exactly to connect my laptop with serial port into the network. What do I need? can I make something out of an old serial cable?

I have 2 of these devices on my network and they are both at version 1.01.

Thank for any help.

Step 2 of the instructions shows color and pin wiring for using a 9 pin serial port of a PC.
You would need just that, a DB9 serial connector wired to the IF-NMEA 2k2 as shown. This can be an old serial cable with a cut off end or just a $2 radio shack DB9 connector that has be wired up with some raw wire.

It might be better if you send the units into our service center or have a dealer update them.

Update:

I finally got time and decent weather to work on the boat. I was able to successfully update both IF-NMEA2ks units to version 1.07. I did it through a laptop and serial cable. no big deal. both units mow show this version in the setup menu of my TZT14.

However I do have one issue. One IF-NMEA2k2 is for the I-com VHF and the other is for the AIS. Both units updates the same on the PC and both show the same version on the TZT14. but now when I turn on the AIS I get an error message related to improper NMEA connections. I am still receiving AIS targets on the TZT14 as well as all associated data such as COG-HDG...for each target.

Just to test I swapped the connections on the two units and run the AIS off of the other IF-NMEA unit. No error messages and all data still worked. However with the VHF radio now hooked up to the other one it will not receive Lat-Long from the system.

I put the units back the way they were orig. and the VHF works properly and I get the error on the AIS unit.

I did not have another boat to check it with but my guess is that this IF-NMEA unit is not sending data from the MFD. I am guessing that my AIS unit is not receiving or outputting data such as COG and Hdg.

any suggestions? I re-flashed the unit again with still no change...

When ever you change modes (changed by which wires are together) you must removed the IFNMEA2k2 from the NMEA 2000 power and power cycle the device. One after changing the wires to sense the new mode, then power cycle again for the new mode to fully start being implemented. With that in mind you might try your testing again. One in normal mode for the Radio and then the other in AIS mode.

I didn't even pay attention to which mode each one was in. .. I will check that tommorow if weather holds out. Each time I changes the wires around the device was off. I then powered it on to try the devices.

At any rate, it is back like it was originally when I started receiving the error on the AIS.

is there anything different in the software updates (was previously on 1.1) that I might need to change setting on? It worked fine before, I just wanted the BFT update since this is a BF vessel.
or is it possible that the flash corrupted it somehow?

Thanks for all your help.

I highly doubt you caused any corruption during programming. The mode wires should be changed with power off. Then power on to sense the change, then remove power again; lastly power on for the final operational mode.

Ok, got a chance to work on the boat today.
Double checked the IFNMEA device and it is in AIS mode. (Purple wire cut) Still get NMEA miswired error on my AIS unit.

tried connecting the purple wire to put it back to default normal mode. Still got AIS error but this time I do not get AIS data on the TZT14.

Put it back into AIS mode and I still get the error but I have targets being displayed again.

Here is how the IFnmea is wired. (black-org together with purple cut) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17184014/pics/IMG_20150603_154620508_HDR.jpg

And here is the software versions of each as displayed on the TZT14 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17184014/pics/IMG_20150603_154153115_HDR.jpg

Any thoughts???
What about trying to downgrade the software to 1.03 or even 1.01? where could I download it at?

Also on a side note, on the TZT14 menus under initial setup(i think) there is a page for PGN outputs. if any of these were on would they feed data such as Heading through the CAN bus and on to the AIS unit connected with the IFNMEA?

Edit: FYI: this is the AIS unit installed on the boat: http://www.l-3mps.com/henschel/pdfs/MAR040_Protec-M_15.pdf

The hand written note photo can be interpreted several different ways. I really can't confirm you have it wired correctly. You might want to open an official support case because the bf feature is new and you might be encountering something they didn't run into when they tested the software. I do note you are trying to run two of the same interfaces on the same NMEA 2000 network. When doing so, it is very important that you have set them on different instance numbers so they don't step on each others data on the network.

HA you can disregard the handwritten note. that was from me trying to determine the pinout of the serial cable that I used to update it with. (that was just a note to know which color wires to connect to which for the update.)

As for the wiring, it is like it has always been. From the top - yell-grn-white-blue-black. X2

Sorry for all the questions, I didn't wire this boat up from the beginning. It came from the factory this way. We just told them what equipment we wanted on it.

what do I need to do to run these as separate instances?

I will have this on the water with other units including USCG assests so i will be better able to determine if the BFT is working properly or if our boat is getting the proper data to display to other vessels.

Again, Thanks for all the assisance.

what do I need to do to run these as separate instances?

You can change the instance number of the device by using your TZT. Go to MENU, INITAL SETUP, "SENSOR LIST" button. You will find a little keyboard in the line item you can hit to change the instance.

Back