PGN Output - True Wind

A

Anonymous

I am having trouble seeing TWA and TWS on the N-viewer app. All other data seems to work fine. I have my entire furuno network turned on. I think the chart plotter calculates these numbers? I can see them on the chart plotter but not on the iOS app. I have PGN output turned on at the TZ14.

thanks
j

Good afternoon Firstboat,

Thank you for your inquiry. May I ask some follow up questions concerning your system. What is the source of Wind data on your vessel? Do you have a heading sensor installed on the Canbus network? What is the source of speed for the vessel are you using speed over ground or do you have a water speed transducer for speed through the water?

One other question, if you were to pull up a data box on the TZT and populate that data box with True Wind Angle and or True Wind Speed, what color is the text for that variable, is it black or yellow?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Kind Regards,

C-Bass

What is the source of Wind data on your vessel?
501 furuno

Do you have a heading sensor installed on the Canbus network?
we have furuno heading sensor connected to the 711 autopilot

What is the source of speed for the vessel are you using speed over ground or do you have a water speed transducer for speed through the water?
I have the furuno dst with paddle wheel for stw

the chart plotter has tws and the rd33's

One other question, if you were to pull up a data box on the TZT and populate that data box with True Wind Angle and or True Wind Speed, what color is the text for that variable, is it black or yellow? YELLOW

Thank you for the help on solving this one.

Good morning Firstboat,

We are still working on your inquiry, may I ask one additional question.

You mentioned below that you are using the FI501 as the wind source. The FI501 can use a couple different wind anemometers: The FI5001 which is a traditional Wind sensor or it can use an ultrasonic wind sensor from Airmar like the WX200 or WS200 ect.

Which sensor is connected to your system?

C-Bass

i have the traditional one with the cups. not the fancy airmar with no moving parts. thanks for looking into this.

Firstboat,
The FI501 with the 5001 wind sensor will only show apparent wind speed when sitting still. If the unit has STW or SOG available to calculate True (once moving) it should have TRUE wind speed available for display on the FI501. The FI501 would then pass that data over the NMEA 2000 network for the TZT. If you have the FI501 setup as your "Data Source" for wind, the TZT should show winds in BLACK numbers. The problem could be the N viewer app is not showing TRUE is because your TZT is calculating True for it's own use (in Yellow). Have you tried moving the boat, letting real TRUE wind to turn the numbers black on the TZT (non-calculated) and then then checking the APP?

i will check this out in a few days. Should the PGN output menu on the TZ touch be on or off for wind?

Off.
The FI501 will be the source of wind for your NMEA 2000 network.
You don't want the TZT regurgitating data that is already on the NMEA 2000 backbone.

Still having problems. Where should the system be getting the TW. I don't have the 501 as a choice.

thank you. Hope the photos help. They are of the furuno iOS app not getting true wind, 2 photos of the data source screen, the pgn output screen, the overall screen showing yellow for true wind direction and my 501 producing TW.

thanks
jason

To verify, when moving the boat you DO see true wind speed on the FI501?

Can you setup the RD33 wind data source to the fi501? When the fi501 is the source on the RD33, do both the RD30 and FI501 show True wind when moving?

You said you couldn't select FI501 as the true wind source in the TZT. Did you try setting it as the source while moving the boat (when true wind is available on the bus)? I suspect it my not shown as a source when you are sitting still (not developing True wind) because at that point in time the FI501 is not providing that type of data.

I have two RD33's.

The nav station unit is set to PGN TX on. All sources are blank except position. I think this RD33 is sending this data to my VHF for DSC. When in look in the menus the unit is getting tons of data (temp, app wind, even next waypoint). However True wind is just dashes in this sub menu. On the display screens True wind is available but I assume the rd33 is calculating this.

The second unit is set to PGN tx off. It suffers from the same lack of true wind. All off the possible receive units are correct. for example f501 for true wind. However, again the true wind is only dashes in the sub menu.

Final clue. On my TZ touch then f501 is not a choice for wind. i am forced to choose rd33.

Note the boat is not moving now. thanks so much for the help. :furuno

j

You should not turn "On" any PGNs from the RD33 in which it isn't the source of the data. For example if the RD33 has some 0183 data coming in you wish to convert to 2000, then you should turn on that appropriate PGN. You should not turn on the PGN for something that is already on the bus. This will just data loop or regurgitate existing data.

During the period we sold these units we had no reports of this issue. At this point I still believe it is a setup issue. Please try selecting the FI501 as your True wind source on your TZT as the boat is moving. See it if appears once True wind becomes available on the bus directly from the FI501.

Back