FA150 ports

Nick

Furuno Super Fan
Hello,

I tried to connect FA150 with Seiwa GPS plotter Explorer 3 (very similar to Sitex, it's the same unit), but with no success. I tried to with Com 2 and with PC port. All ports configurations are 38400 bps, what is necessary, but no Ais targets appeared on plotter display. Plotter has some NMEA data monitor but strange characters showed only instead ASCII. I would like to know: Is that PC port RS232, and can I use that port for connection to plotter? All other ports for ext display connection are RS422 I suppose?

Thanks

I would have no idea what your PC port is but most PC serial ports are RS232. The FA150 uses RS422 so you might need a proper RS422 to RS232 level converter. Based on what you say the sentences look like it sounds like the baud rate isn't matching between the two devices. You would want to ensure 38400 is set for BOTH devices. You might want to talk to your PC supplier to clarify the input type.

Thanks, baud rates are ok (38400 bps on both sides), and I connected level converter but no success. PC port on FA150 is RS422? Are You sure? I'm asking about FA150 PC port on DB9 connector on FA150 transponder.

No, I thought you were talking about com2. If you use the DB9 connection that is RS232. If you have tried both the 422 outputs and the 232 outputs, I would say the odds them all being bad are almost zero. I would suspect the PC isn't really changing baud rates or you are configuring the wrong port of the PC. When the baud rates don't match; the data normally looks like garbled hieroglyphics. You might try a different PC or connect the PC up to a different source of 38400 to see if you can clearly see another source.

Thank You Johnny, and yes, I tried all ports 422 and 232 port on FA150. I have only one Com port on PC, so it can't be wrong port. I must try with another RS232 listener. Thanks, Nick

Back