IF-NMEA2K2 to output RS232 AIS data

rmenendez

Furuno Fan
I have 2 TZT's that receive AIS data via a IF-NMEA2K2 feeding the NMEA2000 backbone. I also have PC's in the network using TZ Professional which receive all data except AIS. In checking the TZT manual I notice that TZT's do not output AIS data they receive. The options I think I may have are:
-Connect the Brown, Grey and Drain wire to an RS232 interphase and the PC's
-Use an additional IF-NMEA2K2 in the NMEA2000 network to convert the data to NMEA0183/RS232 so it can be used by the PC's?

Is there another way to send the data to the PC's? I recall seeing something about the radar sending the data but don't know if it is correct or how to implement if it can.

Thank you,

Rolando

The TZT isn't the source of the AIS nor would it repeat the data to the NMEA2000 bus where it already exists. You are correct about your options. You might talk to Nobeltec/MaxSea about your software because I think it might be able see the AIS information from the Furuno network. They would know. If you can't then you would have to wire up the NMEA 0183 data as you pointed out.

Thanks Johnny. I spoke with Nobeltec its just that the pcs are connected only via ethernet so when I read about TZT not passing on AIS data I asked myself where would it get it from if not the TZT, or another Furuno equipment in the ethernet connection: radar, sounder in my case. I'll double check again with them.

Some types of data can be pulled directly of the Furuno network via the PC software but it depends on the data and what license modules you have purchased from Nobeltec/MaxSea. They are the experts on what their software will pull directly from the network.

Back