GP-7000F, integration with updated NMEA2000 network

A

Anonymous

Hi. I have a perfectly working GP-7000F chart plotter/sounder integrated with Raymarine autopilot.

Have just installed an NMEA2000 network with a Furuno NMEA Data converter (IF-NMEA2K2), so that I could distribute some of the GP-7000F GPS data (NMEA0183) to the newer network (NMEA2000) and gauges.

NMEA 0183 port 1 does the autopilot. Have used NMEA 0183 port 2 to interface with the new NMEA2000 network (via the Furuno data converter).

Data is being read from the NMEA 2000 network on a Lowrance guage.

Integration and data conversion seems to have gone half OK, as can report Depth/Water Temp/Ground Speed and system time (with a qualification below) to the new network. However, have not been able to establish position nor heading data on the new network? Have tried switching various output strings on and off (and for those reporting to the network I can see them come and go as switched), however nothing appears to work for the posn/heading data of the related strings?

Another issue that is likely related...... The GP-7000 time reads correctly on its screen (UTC+8), however the Lowrance guage reports UTC and unable to add the +8 (seems to be overwritten by the string coming out of the GPS)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Obviously happy to help with any additional info or data that might be required. Thanks.

However, have not been able to establish position nor heading data on the new network?
GP-7000F is not a source of heading nor does it throughput heading. The position/COG/SOG shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that at 4800 baud you can only choose 6 to 7 sentences. Any more will be like putting too many BBs down a funnel and the data flow will stop or be greatly affected. What are the sentence do you currently have turned on? What mode is the IF-NMEA2k2 in? What is the software version in your GP7000F?

Another issue that is likely related...... The GP-7000 time reads correctly on its screen (UTC+8), however the Lowrance guage reports UTC and unable to add the +8 (seems to be overwritten by the string coming out of the GPS)?

The time offset is only for display on the GP7000. Does the time read correctly on the GP7000F? The data sent via NMEA 0183 is the unadulterated information. You will have to talk to Lowrance on how they do a time offset in their equipment. This wouldn't be related to your NMEA conversion setup.

That's great feedback Johnny and much appreciated. I did not appreciate the 6-7 string limitation at the 4800 baud rate. Will limit other strings and see whether I can get the position/COG/SOG. To be clear, which strings would you recommend switching to output?

The IF-NMEA2K2 is in normal mode. The software version in the GP7000F (as per the system update screen) is 1451722-02.01

The time reads correctly on the GP7000, so as suggested will have to follow up with Lowrance. In any case not a big deal if unrelated to the correct position data which is the main game.

Assistance is great and thanks. Regards Ken

As normal NMEA sentences I would think GGA, VTG, ZDA, RMC, MTW, DPT, (HDG) would meet your needs.

It does have the HDG sentence so it might indeed pass heading out IF you have heading input into the unit on your other NMEA port from another device.

The software version in the GP7000F (as per the system update screen) is 1451722-02.01
You might consider a software upgrade to the newest when you have the time. The current software 3.05 software and instructions are posted under the product on our web site (http://www.furunousa.com)

Hi Johnny. I switched off all outputs except for those suggested above, and unfortunately the NMEA2000 network would still not report position to the Lowrance guage. All other outputs are working correctly.

I have ordered a small SD card (harder to get these days as the technology moves on....) to try the software upgrade on the GP-7000, as the next step. Will touch base once I have been able to complete that process. Thanks again for your advice to date.

Regards
Ken

Great, thanks will give that a go in addition to the software upgrade.

Back