FA150 setup

A

Anonymous

how do I setup the FA150 for Nmea2000 input. I have a mut mix of equipment. original boat was Raymarine Seatalk. it has since been converted to nmea2k and the Seatalk is converted to nmea2k. the GPS is an old furuno gp32 also adapted to nmea2k. most of the equipment is Simrad or Furuno. with anticipation to upgrade in the future. can I use the Furuno nmea2k to nmea0183 converter for the input. I am specifically concerned with the heading sensor. the old Raymarine Seatalk compass works for now, and I plan on setting up a satellite compass next year. another forum post referred to using the AT10 standard or wiring a pg500 for true heading input? I also seen Simrad has a AT10HD for 10hz heading input only. I am planning on running it by the dealer to verify current firmware and set MMSI ect. what options do I have to get my FA150 up and running for now with the nmea2k I have now?

V/R

Robert

FA150 is a deepsea commercial Class A unit. It required external GPS and Heading (in TRUE not Magnetic format) because of IMO requirements. If not provided; it will still function but it will to it squawk error notices. The unit uses NMEA 0183 so if you wish to have it provide data to a NMEA 2000 bus you will need a NMEA converter like the Furuno IFNMEA2k2 converter. Because of the complexities of mixing commercial deep sea items with recreational items, I highly recommend you contact tech support to discuss your plans.

Exact problem, with a twist. I only went to a N2K system because I had to replace my GPS. I traded a venerable Garmin 152 for a Garmin GPSmap 740s. Oh, look, now I have tide tables again. Anyway, after configuring the outputs on the 740S to exactly match the outputs on the 152, the AIS is having a hissy-fit. Specifically, the HDT and EPFS indicators come in intermittently. I figure Garmin has changed something in their sentence structure that the Furuno doesn't like, everything still works because it switches over to internal GPS, but what a pain.

So I spent a bunch on an actisense system, brought the NMEA information into Com 6 at 4800 baud, and tried to take the AIS information out of Com 3. I can't get any information out at any speed. I have configured com 3 for external display, either speed, no joy, no AIS data. I still get AIS data on the PC out, and on the NavNet 3 (com 2), but can't seem to force the electrons to do my bidding on the actisense NGW-1. Any help would be lovely. And I'm running a Mac.

And, Oh By The Way, if I hook up the old 152 Garmin, all is well again. Doesn't that twist my panties.

You might see what actisense says the talker ID output is for that converter unit. I doubt the FA150 will accept the $II talker.

Well, when you hook up the talker wires to the talker instead of the receiver, and the receiver wires to the receiver instead of the talker, all blinky lights blink as they should. Stupid mistake.

Back