FA150 MKD error message

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I am installing a FA150 that was previously installed on another boat. The unit was supposed to be all OK.
When the unit has powered up and initialzed itself, it starts blinking a MKD error message on the display unit.
The display seems to be working fine, I can navigate the menues without a problem except for this annoying MKD error message.

Any ideas how to to fix this problem?

Seems like the transponder will not store my MMSI/Name/Call sign either. I can key in the data but the screen will start from blank when I revistit the Menu page.
Maybe this is related to the MKD error message?

Hello,

The MKD error is when the processor unit is not seeing the display unit, and it would cause the data entered to not be saved.

I would verify that the wire is correct, and make sure each wire is making good contact.

I have attached the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• FA150 processor to display.PNG
    FA150 processor to display.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,539
I already have checked the wiring 2 times.
Will check again.

Did some further testing.
Some parameters can be saved, some not.
I was able to save the Nav Status/Destiniation List, but unable to save Nav Status/ Draught & No.of Persons

Being able to save some parameters should indicate the wiring is OK?

Tested wiring from connectors inside the FA1502 to the connector on the FA1501 to rule out any problems in the connector at the back of the FA1502. Verified all wires are OK.

Moved the display from the DISP port on the FA1501 to COM2 to rule out any problems in the DISP port. The MKD message is still flashing.

The odd thing is the communication must be working somehow? I can read parameters and store some parameters . Other parms will not store. I can even see AIS targets moving on the display.

This is driving med nuts!

MKD.jpg
Do you have the wire shield grounded to the case as shown?
If you didn't ground the shield, it might explain your problem. This is VERY important. If that isn't it; you will need to have the unit checked out by your local dealer/distributor.

I verified that the shield is firmly seated in the fastening rail inside the transponder.
Both transponder and display grounding wires are also connected to the same bus bar.

I guess Furuno in Ålesund will be next stop for my unit.

Update
Got a chance to borrow a FA150 transponder and display from another boat. Tested on my unit. Turns out my diplay must be at fault.
Used the borrowed display to configure my transponder. The transponder now feeds data to the Timezero without a problem.

Great troubleshooting and feedback. If your unit is under warrantee, I would send that display in for repair evaluation.

Back