Fax 30 connection to Windows 7 laptop

G

gordwedman

About 2 years ago I bought a Fax 30 for use on my boat. I was not able to get it to connect to my laptop running XP. I had to get advice from an IT person. Since then it has worked fairly well. I would like to set up my other laptop running Windows 7 to use the Fax 30. I tried duplicating the settings from the XP machine but had no luck getting the Win7 machine to connect. Could someone please set out step by step instruction for making the necessary settings on Windows 7. I didn't find the manual to be very helpful so another source of instruction might benefit users.
Thanks

The imbedded HTML in the FAX30 hasn't changed. It setups and works the same way it always has. The only thing changing is the windows operating system. The problem is newer versions of windows (like 7,8,8.1 and 10) have become more and more locked down and protective. You have to ensure you turn off all your firewalls and antivirus programs that might block your communications. If you needed an IT guy with Windows XP, then you might want to give him another call because the newer versions of windows are even more locked down. I just tried the Fax30 with my Windows 8.1 and Explorer version 11 and it worked fine.

Yea, well my boat is in Mexico and I am not sure I can explain what I want to do to a local computer person. This is not exactly like hooking up a monitor. What I am looking for is step by step instructions for Windows 7. This unit is made specifically to connect to computers. If Microsoft changes the OS then it would seem to me that Furuno needs to provide updated connection information (if they want to actually sell units or support them).

The Fax30 works as a blackbox weather fax for the NN1, Vx2, NN3D, TZT, and TZT2. It also works with a PC but not typically the primary connection. For those who use only with a PC, we find they are normally very PC familiar. We see very few questions on this unit normally.

I guess you have me at a loss. Looking at the manual I don't see any specifics directly related to the version of Windows. What part you would like to see updated? For the PC setup (Pg 1-6), it says to start up the web browser (think you got that) and then type in the fax30 ip address (172.31.8.1). Normally if your PC has an ip address from your network, the Fax30 HTML page opens. That about covers it. Everything else is HTML directly as the manual covers. There are only a few things that I know of that will prevent the HTML page from working. 1. You are using a non-standard browser 2. You have firewalls or antivirus programs stopping the communications. 3. Your PC has no network or IP address. 4. You have a straight network connection cable but need a cross (or vice versa depending on the install)

It really isn't possible to provide PC support for every unique install and PC in writing. At this point I think you are asking for troubleshooting not a standard process that applies to everyone. I would gladly write you a procedure if I knew what your problem was. Have you tried calling tech support while in front of the unit? Our support guys normally can help you diagnose what the problem is and get you fixed up.

Have a look at Section 7 of the manual, particularly 7.5.2, "PC Settings". You will see it is not as simple as you suggest.
I went through these steps with Windows XP and couldn't get a connection. That is when I got IT help.
I tried the same with Windows 7 and again I am not able to get a connection. This is not a unique setup. Every Windows 7 machine has these boxes for TCP/IP connection, IP address, etc. What I need to know is what to put in the boxes to get connected.

Thanks for working on that.
When you go to Network and Sharing Centre in Windows 7 you don't actually see a LAN connections link to click on.
After some searching I discovered you have to click on "Change Adapter Settings". This will bring up the LAN connection that you can double click on and then proceed as described. If I recall correctly I had to turn off my laptop wireless before a connection over Ethernet could be made.
I will give this a try when I get back to Mexico in 2 weeks or so.
cheers,
Gordon
SV Touchstone

When you go to Network and Sharing Centre in Windows 7 you don't actually see a LAN connections link to click on.
That is why you continue with the step as written and "and select change network adaptor
settings" (at the left of the screen)
Again if you have problems please call us from the boat.

Hello, I may be re-hatching a sore subject, but I'm attempting to get a Fax30 unit to communicate with a (brand-new!) PC running Windows 10, and I'm struggling with the settings. I believe that if the dialogues and prompts were the same as with Windows 7 (as so well described above) then I would have no issues. But Windows 10 seems to want some different info when trying to assign an IP address to an Ethernet-based network device. Try as I may, I cannot decipher what numbers to plug in to make it work. Another step-by-step for Windows 10 would be much appreciated! I just bought my unit a year ago, and it worked great with my older Windows 7 PC.

Thanks you very much, and best wishes.

Paul
S/V Pleiades
Currently in La Paz, BCS, MX

Back