FA50 GPS Interface

A

Anonymous

Is there a way for me to leverage the GPS data from the FA50 for other purposes such as VHF positioning in an 0183 format for example?

Page 1-10 of the FA50 manual speaks to an available RS-422 interface which I am not using since I am connected to my TZT2 via an ethernet connection.

Thanks in advance.

On the power cable there is an RS422 NMEA 0183 output. (White + and Blue -)
You can use this data to another device that you want AIS/GPS data. Keep in mind the GPS data from the FA50 is very basic.

Thanks for the feedback. Given the basic nature of the data that you mention, my other alternative would be to install an incremental GPS receiver. Is there a Furuno GPS receiver that does not require a dedicated display to function? I would like to install and power a receiver without having to purchase or mount a display. Would the BBWGPS fit this bill?

Yes the BBWGPS smart GPS sensor can be wired to power (RED + and Black -) and the NMEA 0183 wires (Yellow + and Green -) can be taken to your RS422/marine device. Keep in mind that it is recommended that you use a new BBWGPS because any BBWGPS that has been previously been connected to a NavNet unit will no longer be talking standard NMEA.

Back