FA150 Pilot Plug

A

Anonymous

My plan was to connect my FA150 to my PC using the Pilot Plug interface in order to view AIS targets in Coastal Explorer. When I searched for the pilot plug jack, it seems that this is optional equipment. There is a jack marked PC on the FA150. Do I need to order a cable with a pilot plug receptacle on one end and a connector for this PC jack on the other? If so, what is the p/n for this cable? Or is it possible to run a cable directly between my PC and this PC jack, and if so, what does this require?

Bob Breum
Wanderlust

Bob, I don't know what the cost is of the pilot plug, but it might just be easier to get a NMEA0183 to USB (or serial) converter. The FA-150 installation manual is very thorough and might have your answer as well.

I am surprised you are using Coastal Explorer when Nobeltec is so easily integrated, you would have everything including the possibility of radar on the PC as well.

PC interface by an IMO vessel would require the pilot plug but if this isn't an IMO regulated vessel; you can use the PC output port. It is a standard DB9 serial connection. If the PC is using a DB9, you can use a standard serial NULL cable (cross over) to connect the two. If you need it to a USB connection, then a standard serial to USB converters normally run about $20 from places like Staples/Radio Shack/Best buy.

I am surprised you are using Coastal Explorer when Nobeltec is so easily integrated, you would have everything including the possibility of radar on the PC as well.

Is that possible? I was under the impression that Nobeltec support for VX2 has been discontinued. I realize that I did not specify VX2 in my original post.

Thanks for the information. I'll use the PC port.

Bob

The quote you provided wasn't mine. Not sure how it relates to this thread.. but you are correct MaxSea no longer sales or supports network connected software for the Vx2 system.

I wrongly made the assumption that the original poster was using NN3d or TZT.

I was suggesting what I thought was another solution... but I was incorrect.

Now, I see where the quote came from and how it relates. Good suggestion. I wasn't aware of the unit type either at that point in the thread. My bad. I didn't see your posting.

Back