Furuno CANbus Network

B

Bcollier

I'm attempting to determine the voltage required to power my CANbus network.

I have three FI5002 network devices connected using heavy cable. In the Furuno CANbus network design guide I see notation for 12 VDC to power the FI5002 devices. Yet, looking up the LEN for the GP33 I see Power Supply listed as "CANbus: 15 VDC, LEN7."

This generates two questions: 1) Assuming my total LEN is appropriate for my cable lengths should I install a 12 to 15 VDC converter so the network is powered to 15 VDC? And, 2) is there any downside to powering each of the three FI5002 devices independently? And, would that power be 12 or 15 VDC. Understanding that by powering each FI5002 requires the backbone power wires to be removed/isolated from the backbone cable.

If you power from two or more location you MUST isolate them.

NMEA 2000 standard is the power between 9-16vdc. Normally boats use 12vdc because it is easily available and falls in this range.

Because of voltage drops, it is important to ensure you have enough amps to power the items you plan. If the network is a larger one, or has long runs, I would recommend the free Maretron software (N2K builder) to prevent you from having to figure it out manually.

Thanks Johnny,
I used the maretron N2K builder to construct my Maretron network. But I wasn't aware it would work for Furuno networks. Nowhere in N2K builder do I recall seeing a reference to "Load Equivelent Numbers". You obviously found something there so please share.

LEN is a standard established by NMEA. (LOAD EQUIVALENCY NUMBER)

You can normally find the LEN rating for a device shown on most NMEA 2000 devices on the specification page in the units manual.

1 LEN = 50 mA (milliamp)

Using math if you know the LEN you can find the amp requirement or vice versa.

Furuno MFD units like the TZT use 1 LEN.

Back