FI-30 Series

A

Anonymous

My boat is a 2007 Catana 50 sailing catamaran with FI-30 Series electronics. The FI-30 series is a couple generations old and was mostly used in Europe. My problem is that the FI-3005 Server that concentrates and distributes all information form the sensors to the rest of the systems: Displays, Autopilot, chart plotter, and in my case a computer with the MaxSea software has failed and there is no chance to get a replacement or getting it repaired as Furuno has totally discontinued this series.
The idea is to update the system with a TZT 14 for the helm and navigation use the iPad via wifi at the chart table for route planning.
The questions nobody has been able to answer yet and that I hope you guys can help me with are:
Will the existing NavPilot 511 work with the new TZT and GPS? How about the nav pilot 511 control panels?
Will the FI-305 MultiXL digital display work? (there are no big XL displays offered anymore by Furuno?)
Will the analog wind displays FI-306 work?
Do I need to replace the FI-3003 Wind Vane sensor as well?
In other words, will I need to replace everything for the new FI-70s or will I be able to keep any of the installed displays and autopilot?
Thank you vey much for your comments!

Furuno USA never sold the FI30 series. It is doubtful that you could interface this series to the newer systems. Support and questions concerning these units are best answered by the selling distributor.

The TZT will work great with the NavPilot 511 but you will need to build a proper NMEA 2000 network and add a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter. The Navpilot is 0183 and the TZT is 2000. You will need the converter to bridge the systems. I suggest the Furuno IF-NMEA2k2.

The Navpilot "control panels" would stay connected as they are now to the Pilot processor and work as they always have.

Thank you Johnny Electron, this helps a lot.
I will have to update all the sensors and instruments but I will be able to keep the Autopilot and controls.
Any comments on a replacement for the big screen XL displays?
I have these two displays in the main beam, the holes are already there but I do not see any large screen displays in the new range.

Back