NMEA 2000 Losing Devices - Heading and Position

A

Anonymous

Try to help friend solve issue- Heading and Position Loss
The boat has bot a SC30 and PG700 device, that can be used for the heading source.
Recently the boat suddenly gave our position as South Africa (we are in Australia) and we lost the heading. We tried to switch to the PG700 for HEADING but the device was constantly going missing from the selection list (all three lights on the PG700 were green). after several power off\On and reboots of the system we were constantly getting then losing or Position and Heading. We remove the SC30 from the system, as there had been recent report of these unit failing(apparently a software upgrade is required). WE connected heading to the PG700, but still kept losing the Heading.

The device appear to flicker, on the selection list and disappears from the device listing, as though they are intermittently lost on the network. The same was occurring with the Position device, we trying to change from SC30 to GP 338B(not sure if this model number is correct).
the boat is in a remote location so tech cannot attend.

I have been reading up on the network and would really appreciate any help on a fault finding method\procedure to locate the defective connection or device.

The owner is on board I would really like to help him out.

I will go back to the boat in a weeks time.

Kind Regards
Phantom

I recommend you open an official support case with the distributor in the area or with the distributor the equipment was purchased from. Provide them drawing of your system to include the NMEA 2000 bus and cable lengths/termination points. It seems like it isn't one device but your 2000 backbone in which they communicate. If Furuno USA is the local distributor, open the case under SUPPORT - Ask Furuno a question.

Back