SC50 satellite compass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piers

Furuno Fan
For the last 2 years, our SC50 has suffered from ABORTED and HEADING MISSING errors. These have been traced to malfunctioning aerials, with all three failing one after the other. The Dealer has replaced them all, and in fact, No 3 had to be changed twice.

We still have (albeit infrequent) ABORTING failures and transient failures which cause either prolonged or momentary HEADING MISSING failure on the nn3d. So I want to start a further set of tests. Yes, No3 aerial is sometimes the cause (HDOP very high and satellites very low), but whilst we wait for yet another replacement, I want to download a fresh almanac. How do I do this?

Hello Piers,

To reset the GPS's, press menu, go to erase and select GPS data.

Is the antenna with a radar beam? Or perhaps a SAT comm beam? I find it very odd that all three GPS antennas would fail that often.

Hi, Thanks for this. I was told by Furuno that they'd had a problem with a batch of serails and it just seems that my SC50 was built with this batch. But now the No 3 has failed in as much that it sometimes behaves and sometimes goes awol.

The SC50 is mounted on the top of the pony mast, and the only thing that goes above it is the slamm mast that holds the nav light. Furuno UK believes that's OK.

Pics of the pony mast can be seen in the photo gallery here: http://www.playdeau.com/play-deau-is-featured-in-motor-boat-yachting/

I have to say the problem of unreliable info from the sat compass is becoming a real nuisance, so any further ideas will be most welcome.

Hi All,

I thought an update on the SC50 was in order. Over the last year, Furuno has changed all three antennae as each has failed, one after the other. No 3 antenna will soon be changed for the third time but I'm assured that the sub-standard antenna batch that seems to have targetted Play d'eau (!) and plagued local Furuno dealers has now worked its way through the Furuno system.

Quite apart from this having been an epic of annoyance over the last two and half years, I have to say Furuno has been terrfic in their support. Yes, it's taken a painstaking amount of time and testing, but as each error was proven Furuno has come straight to the bar without question.

Even though upgrading electronics is never straight forward, I have to say the back-up from Furuno has been excellent.

A firm Furuno fan....

Dear

I write from Ecuador. I have the same trouble in the ship´s company. Our SC-50 has suffered from ABORTED and HEADING MISSING ERRORS. Can you help me with this. I changed the antenna position but the trouble goes.

Best regards

Jorge

Hi Jorge. I can only reply with the experience I had. The errors you state on your SC50 are the same as I had on my ST50 which were all caused by the internal GPS aerials which, one by one, failed. Over a period of time, all three aerials had to be replaced, some more than once. Each time, Furuno replaced them. Apparently the problem was due to the faulty manufacturing of a whole batch or aerials.

With the new aerials I have no more problems.

Question: Do you have a NN3D which shows Heading Missing?

Good day trying to recalibrate sat compass SC-50 forgot how to get to the page. Changed battery need to reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back