SC30 heading lost, on rough sea, front wind situation

Harold

Boat is a 65 foot steel hull, crab fishing boat. SC30 is mounted on top of mast about 30 ft from water line. Installation consisted of a SC30 connected to a N2K backbone and feeding a Commander P2 autopilot thru the used of a furuno n2k to 0183 nmea converter,sending data to autopilot in 0183 format. We have n2k backbone install with end of line terminator on one end and the SC30 on the other end of the backbone. We have a photo of installation and a sketch of the cabling setup. Will send it soon. Wondering if the hight of the SC30 related to the seize of the ship would cause excessive pitch in head wind to a point that the SC30 lost heading..

Attachments

• 11750612_10153536517339743_6709934228690166344_n.jpg
    11750612_10153536517339743_6709934228690166344_n.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,570
I don't think the boat size is a problem at all. If you are losing heading; normally we find it is due to multi-path reflection issues from items near or above the antenna.

Hi, take a look at this photo. The only thing close to that SC30 is a Intellien satellite dish and it about 20 to 36 inch below the SC30 could that be a problem..

Thanks

Harold

I don't remember the photo there during it's original posting. I will have some of our engineers look at the photo and solicit comments. I will await the system diagram of the NMEA 2000 interfacing.

We have n2k backbone install with end of line terminator on one end and the SC30 on the other end of the backbone.
So you used the SC30 cable that came with the unit or replaced with a properly terminated backbone cable?

Your backbone cabling is wrong, and might well be the source of your issue. The SC30 does not have internal termination, so it needs to connect to the N2K bus the same way the IF-NMES2K2 does, i.e. with a Tee connector with a terminator on the backbone end. Right now you have a bus that is terminated on only one end.

No in all honesty I can't say why this would create problems under certain sea states, but it's a clear problem that needs to be fixed right away, and it may well make your other issues disappear.

Since you have selected the correct SC30 cable with the internal terminator; on the surface I see nothing wrong with the Canbus network. Let me discuss and get back with you.

Thanks Jonny for your reply. After your last post we did verified are network cabling(canbus), and it seem to us like you said, to be okay. But still would like more input from you.

thanks

Japan has a holiday week and we are awaiting the engineers return; please standby. Your understanding is appreciated.

Has there been an update on the lost heading issues? I know of a few people that are experiencing head drop out especially on smaller vessels, rough conditions.

Like every install, every case has been unique. Typically we find that multi-path is the issue due to mounting locations on the boat. We have a few customer cases where we are looking into cases but still collecting information from them. If you have an issue, please open an official case with your distributor so we can assist you in getting it resolved. If you are in the Furuno USA area, cases are opened via our web site www.FurunoUSA.com - SUPPPORT - Ask Furuno a question.

There is a problem with the latest SC30 units. I believe they downgraded the G shock rating to the point that even in moderate seas the heading data can be lost. I have an SC30 on a 36ft boat - mine works perfectly in calm conditions, but as soon as conditions worsen it won't hold the heading.

Back