Splicing a Smart Sensor Cable

Yeti

I'm installing a new DST-800PSF Smart (depth, speed, temp.) Sensor, but the cable is about 8 ft. short of my best suited location for the FI5002 NMEA2000 Junction box .

My Layman's options were to either splice the cable, or add a "field attachable" N2K connector (prefered). Rumor has it however that this is a "No-no," because the "transducer is 'tuned' for the length of cable." Rumor or truth? If truth, what are my options?

Yeti,
The NMEA 2000 cable attached to the depth sensor falls within the drop length standards established by NMEA. You can't extend it without breaking NMEA 2000 networking “rules”. It should be connected to an established "backbone" that has proper power and termination. If you extend the cable and "break" the rules, the unit will most likely not function or be intermittent. It could in fact make your entire NMEA 2000 network not function properly. For depth sensors, if you have a long run to make, it is best to use NMEA 0183 units (like the 235DST) or ensure that your backbone can be reached by the provided “drop” cable. You might want to discuss your installation requirements with your dealer.
Johnny

Thanks for your response JE.

So, if I understand you correctly:

If I use a backbone cable (in my case 8 ft. long) tied into the "backbone" specific terminal block on the FI5002 junction box, a T-connector and terminator, to extend out to the DST-800PSF Smart Sensor drop cable, this would work?

Yeti
If you attached a drawing of what you intend to setup, it might be helpful to review. A NMEA 2000 “backbone” is basically the cable that goes from terminator to other terminator. (Regardless of path up to a max length of 100meters – for micro cable) Your depth sensor must directly connect to that cable, without extensions. If the” T” with terminator is where you plan to connect the transducer, then it sounds good. (As long as you don’t extend the transducer cable to get there)
Johnny

Back