pg-500 connecting to PC

A

Anonymous

HI,
I've bought Furuno PG-500, and want to connect it to my PC throught rs-232, and comunicate with it using NMEA0183. I need to send and receive infos from PG-500.
I can't find any scheme which can help me. Maybe some of You have this kind of scheme, or any idea how toconnect this cables:)
Thank's for Your help:)

If I wrote in wrong section, please move my topic:)

The PG500 puts out RS422 level NMEA 0183 and a PC serial port is RS232. You will a level converter at least. You might also need a serial to USB if you wish to use the PC USB port. The easy way would be to wire up a Furuno USA P/N 422-USB-CBL, converter cable to take the data into your PCs USB port.

Oh, thanks for replay. So, I need a converter from rs-422 to rs-232 to connect pg-500 if don't want to use usb cable?
Am I right?

You need an RS422 to RS232 level converter to take the data to a 9 pin or 25 pin serial PC port (which most PCs no longer offer). Additional you would need a serial RS232 converter to USB; if you plan to use a USB port on the machine.... Or you can do both with one device, in one step, by using a device like the Furuno 422-USB-CBL.

Hi Johnny

I'm going to install the sensor PG-500 and I want to do it the best way. I want to know if is mandatory to install on the boat center line and if we can install upside down.

Please send your recommendations

Thanks

Andrea

aospina-

It does not have to be located on the center line but try to get it close.
Do NOT mount it upside down.

This is slightly off-topic but.....it would be really useful to be able to monitor the status lights on the PG-500 remotely. Most installs will see the PG-500 'buried' deep in the boat where looking at the Status lights is inconvenient at best. Is there a way of tapping into the Status light circuit to at least see when the lights are flashing, indicating a loss of accuracy for whatever reason, maybe via a PC link if not a remote warning light??

Back