Nav pilot 711 rudder reference

luke343

Hi,
I just got a 2nd hand 711 and Fap 7002 unit and the install will come next. My existing auto pilot is a TMQ. I have downloaded the manuals and software updates if needed. I have a feeling it may be an interesting time getting it working.

Do I need a rudder reference? It is a twin engine vessel not outboard. Is the TMQ rudder reference unit likely to be able to be rewired if I need one? I am not sure of the resistance values yet.

I was planning on getting heading input from a Azimuth C100 which already feeds my plotter. I don't see this to be an issue? nmea183 @ 4800?

thanks Luke

As long as the RRU is resistance based which their standard feedback appears to be, it should work for you. It is a good idea to ohm it and check it.

I haven't seen anyone use the Azimuth C100. Maybe another user here can tell you if it is suitable enough. Heading and Hydraulics are the heart of the pilot. If the heading isn't good or fast enough; your pilot will have problems. We recommend that the compass have updates of 200ms or faster, anything less will be a problem. The better the heading the better the pilot will function.

Thanks Johnny,
Better news that I thought. I will increase the compass to 5 hz and see what happens. I may be a few weeks but I will post the results.

Update,
The Azimuth connects fine and was increased to 5 hz

The TMQ RRF is not reading. It is a 3 wire harness with 5V power input. Am I able to make this work?

At present I have to flicked it to Fanthom feed back to get he unit working.

thanks Luke

Thanks Johnny,
I will find one. I also updated the software from the link on the web site and the controller failed to update and only runs in Sim mode now, processor updates fine.

Do I need the up.boot file as It was a old version? I think it may have been 1.05 ish

fap- 7011 sn 100410

You might want to contact Furuno and get an older version of the controller software to try step upgrading it. The current mono screen software (for non-color 711) is version 1.17. If you were 1.05 and it isn't working; either you are missing the proper bus terminator or you need to step upgrade it.

Fixed my software issue. Many thanks to Johnny for finding the solution. This forum has save me many $ by having access to people that know. :respect d

Back