711 pilot upgrade

dbenn

I am considering an autopilot refit on my boat using a 711C the existing pilot is a Simrad AP50.
I have a couple of questions. First would it be possible to use the existing cable for the AP50's
rudder reference unit (RF300) I believe it is two lead shielded? Running a new one would be very difficult boat is a 100' motoryacht. Second do the control heads use both can bus and nmea 2000 connections if so can the can bus be run with stadard N2K cable? my system will use two 711C control heads. The rest of the nav system consists of 3 TZT14's,Time zero PC
DFF1,2127 radar,DRS12AX radar and PG500R compass. The Simrad AP50's reversing pump will
probably be compatible. I have determined that an upgrade using a Simrad AP70 would be simple as it uses the same rudder reference unit and it uses nmea 2000 for the control heads
But I would much rather stick with Furuno!

You can reuse the pump but not the RRU or control cables. Some Simrad RRUs can be reused but not the two wire units (works off freq not resistance). The NavPilot 700 series control heads are not NMEA 2000.

Thanks, I will be upgrading with the Simrad AP70 to so I can use existing rudder sensor. the next problem I have is that I was using the fast heading output from old autopilot for the nmea2k network (TZT14/DRS-radar) thru IF-NMEA2K2.
I also have a 2128 radar with a PG500 heading sensor witch I will use for system heading. My question is how to properly set up fast heading output thru IF=NMEA2K2 using PG500 as source? I read somewhere that the PG500 and IF-NMEA2K2 need to be set up for 38400 baud for fast heading to work on nmea2k. If so would that affect the 2128 radar witch I think is using the AD10 output. My goal is to have everything using the same heading source.

If you are using AD10; you already have fast heading direct to the FAR2128. AD10 is at 25ms (the fastest update possible).

Back