How to enter installation/dockside menu

Acer

Furuno Super Fan
Maybe I am blind and/or stupid but I have to Change some Parameters and cannot find any way to enter the Installation or dockside menu

Help needed ;)

Sorry,, Johnny, for my delayed Reply. And I just noticed that I asked that Kind of question about 5 years ago when I got my new boat ;).

I had to enter the Setup menu because I installed new FI70 Instruments and with them the convertwer for the wind data.

So far so good, I selected the converter as the wind sensor and the 711C now Shows the wind data again.

But there is still an issue with that. The wind direction is very "jumpy and nervous", sometimes AWA changes very quickly. On my other Disülays the wind dirction changes smooth as before, but on the Autopilot Display it semms thatthe data is displayed completly undamped.

I found no way to get a smoother readout on the 711C. When changing the damping values on other Displays, it seems to have no effect on the 711c.

Oliver

Damping, Smoothing, and offsets are always done in the displaying unit. Uncorrected raw data is always sent by the source device. Wind damping on the Navpilot 700 series is explained on page 7-43 of the Operator's manual.

Thanks for your Reply. But here is no "real" displaying unit anymore, because the "analog" wind date gets converted by the NMEAFI and the Units on the n2k bus like for example the RD33, other FI70s and the Autopilots get the data as they come?? Or is it possible to set one Fi70 to Master and do the smoothing for all? In the menu of the nmeafi I wound no smoothing Parameters....

I have a lot of Displays, TZT, 2x FI 70, RD33 and of Course the 711c. Of Course you are right, it is possible to set a value for wind damping within the Autopilot Setup, but as far as I understand thats only for ap behavior when in vane mode and with an AWA > 55 degrees. But what I Need is to smoothen the wind angle at the Display, I use the readout at the 711 alot because ist Close to the helm. Not very surprising that the AP reacts to the jumpy AWA values quite worse. It was no Problem with the "old" FI50 Wind Instrument because smoothing was done right there and the "softer" values are transferred in the N2K Bus.

So, is there any way to smoothen the raw-data coming from the ifnmea the same way the FI50 Wind unit did?

The Display and Data at the 711C unit. As mentioned before the AWA at the Autopilot Display jumps, sometimes about 10 Degrees and more, while on the other Fi70 Displays and the RD33 AWA behaves "normal"

But on the 711c the values Change rapidly, and of Course when in Vane mode the AP tries to steer that changes, too

I would adjust the wind damping in the pilot for the wind data. Each unit gets the raw data and any offsets and smoothing is done at the unit that you are experiencing the need for smoothing or offset. The IF-NMEAFI is a converter not an instrument like the 501 was. It only converts the data, it offers no smoothing/offsets there.

Johnny, I agree, but where ist the smoothing? I studied the Manual (at least I treid) without getting any further. As far as I know is it possible to smnooth the reaction of the AP when there is a windshift, but not the readout itself?

Reading the manual the wind damping requires that your Wind Option: mode type be setup for AWA (not TWA). Please try AWA and the damping (aka smoothing). The higher the setting the more "smooth" the data. It should also reflect/influence your wind indication/display. If it doesn't, then let me know. Please also note when getting the fluctuations if you are up or downwind. It could be that you are not getting your damping because you are setup for a TWA mode.

No success. Changing the values of the damping has no effect to the indication on the Display.

If I got it right everyone using the Autopilot and the new F70 Instrument series needing the wind/n2k converter should have the same Problem. While it is possible to adjust the smoothing within the menues of the /70 etc., it seems that there is no such optin within the Autopilot menue. Am I right?

Your right, if you were setup for AWA. There wouldn't be any option that I can think of. I will ask Japan and see what they say.

Thanks alot, Johnny. And I think ist a Major issue for everyone who wants AP in Vane Mode combined with the ifnmea converter….ist not working good anymore. Maybe Japan must add a damping function to the AP via Software modification

The info was given to product development here in the USA. They will bring it up to Japan. At the moment they have much bigger software projects so I wouldn't expect to see anything soon.

Well, copy that. But without a damping in the head unit of the ap, Vane mode is not useable, quite a pity and I assume that all customers using the ifnmea converter are affected…..

Back