711C Initial Setup - Hydraulics Air Bleeding Questions

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I've just completed the installation of the hydraulics part of the 711C. Did all the mounting and electrical installation last week. I have dual Yamaha F150's so I'm using the HRP11 pump. Everything went fine today and I'm pretty sure I've got it ready to go in the water, just have a few questions.

The one thing I noticed while purging the air from the system is that if I drive the helm hard either direction and then try and run the motor the opposite direction, the motor seems to bog a bit as it breaks away and starts moving. If I do the same exact thing, but don't drive the helm hard either way, that is, stop immediately at full S or P, then the motor goes the other direction without any hesitation.

Does this make any sense? It's a really slight difference, but I notice everything and like things to be smooth.

OK, EDITED to add that I found this on page 3-26 of the installation manual "It is not necessary to perform any adjustments locally at the PG500/700. NAVpilot has full control of these heading sensors."

Does this answer the question below? And for the total coolness scenario, can I do all the calibration automatically via the pilot, just select AUTO and sit back and watch the show?

The other question is regarding calibrating the PG700. I have it mounted in an ideal location, however, it's somewhere where access is tricky when I'm on the water. Is there a way to go through all the calibration steps remotely? That is, can I avoid pressing the buttons on the unit itself and just use the autopilot or MFD to walk it through the steps?

You should ensure you setup your hard over limits just prior to the stops. Then you normally setup the Manual limits 5 degrees smaller, and Auto limit 5 degrees smaller than that.

Your compass can be calibrated under the seatrail menu. It offer the option of AUTO where it drives the boat in circles for you or MANUAL where you drive the boat. I normally recommend manual unless you have a large open space of water to work in.

Johnny Electron":wru4ogg6 said:
You should ensure you setup your hard over limits just prior to the stops. Then you normally setup the Manual limits 5 degrees smaller, and Auto limit 5 degrees smaller than that.

Johnny,

I've looked through the installation manual and can not find anything that describes the manual and auto limits. I understand what you are saying but I'm not understanding how I set these parameters in the navpilot. Can you give me more details?

For example, during the rudder test for fantum feedback I've followed the instructions to the letter. Take "Step 9" on page 3-12, which says "Long press the < (or >) key hard-over to the opposite direction from step 8." Are you saying that I need to stop before I reach the hard-over and some how estimate 5 degrees before hard-over? Or is there some menu selection I've missed that lets me program the smaller limits for manual and auto? Thank you.

If your using fathom then the setup is quite different.
For that, ensure you stop turning your helm just short of hitting your stops.

Back