Furuno Autopilot Pump Mounting Orientation

T

TeamRezoned

Good morning,

The last step to our Contender 33T Electronics Overhaul was the installation of a Furuno HRP17 autopilot pump. We replaced a Simrad pump that was mounted vertically on the wall of the center console. During install, I removed the old pump and mounted the new pump in the same orientation (Vertically on the wall, with the hose ports towards the bottom). We bled the lines and tested the pump and everything seems to be working correctly. The HRP17 pump did not come with an installation manual, so I was recently doing some research and noticed that the pump manufacturer recommended that the pump be installed horizontally, not vertically. My research also showed that other pump manufacturers indicate that the pump can be mounted vertically or horizontally.

I am looking for input on whether or not the way I mounted the pump will compromise the durability or performance of the pump. If I have to change the orientation to horizontal, I will likely have to replace the hydraulic lines and move the pump to a different location further away from the helm.

I am looking forward to hearing you guys' expert opinion.

Thanks!
Dan

Mounting it vertically should not be an issue, but make sure the motor is above the hydraulic fittings. I also recommend you put shut off valves or disconnects close to the pump fitting. Hopefully they are not needed, but if you ever have to remove the pump you will be thankful they are there.

Melville,

Thanks for your response! I appreciate the input.

FYI, I am going top post a separate thread regarding Sabiki Mode not working due to "No Speed Data"

-Dan

Back