Navpilot 711C System Wiring

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I've ordered the Navpilot system from my dealer and need some clarification on total system power requirements in anticipation of installation. I'll be using the HRP11 pump which per the manual has a power draw of 4-6A. The FAP7002 packing list shows it uses a 4A fuse and the installation manual is not clear on the total power requirements for the system.

Logically, the pump is in addition to the processor and control unit. I'm assuming that the 4A fuse is only for the processor and control unit. So for the 12V power supply to the FAP7002 I need to provide 8-10A.

Is the 4A processor fuse something that is mounted internally? If the 8-10A total load is correct should I use a 15A fuse and associated wire sizing for the supply?

MarMax,

We recommend that the pilot should be fused/breaker'd for 25 amp. This is due to the initial power surge of the unit and pump.

Deep Blue - :)

Deep Blue Sea":2jnmsf0n said:
We recommend that the pilot should be fused/breaker'd for 25 amp. This is due to the initial power surge of the unit and pump.

OK, thank you for that information. Since this breaker size is for a surge condition I should not need to size the wire for 25A. I'm looking at a maximum operational loading of 10A and was planning to size for 15A with 3% or less voltage drop. Is this OK?

As for the 4A processor fuse, is it located internally like the fuse for the PSU017?

Thanks again Deep Blue !

Your plan sounds good. I would recommend consulting the wire gauge chart shown in the install manual on page 2-5. I would meet or exceed the requirements listed there.

Deep Blue and Johnny, I am having this same issue and cant get a straight answer out of tech support. The boat has a pair of 350 Verados and an HRP11 pump. I am seeing 6-8 amps to the system to turn the engines, spiking to 10 at startup and 16 at hard over, this is on the lift and not in the water. The processor manual says 2-4 amps, am I safe putting a 20 amp fuse on the system or should I run a small fuse to the processor then power the pump through a relay/solenoid?

Rather than assume that you jumped on the correct thread, you also have a Navpilot 700 series? If so, then you can fuse the processor as we discussed in the thread (for 25 amps) but it seems like you have some other issue going on if your pump is pulling 16 amps at hard over. That is crazy current for a pump that size. Something isn't right with the pump itself or how it is installed into the steering system. Is that a new pump? Is it a 12v or 24v pump? Are you running 12v or 24v to the processor? How far away is the pump from the processor? What gauge power wires are used to the pilot and from the pilot to the pump? What is the hard over to hard over time? Solenoids won't fix anything for this particular case.

Johnny, thanks for the response. I have a 711c head unit and a fap7002 processor. The system is 2 years old. 12v system on a center console, the pump is powered directly from the processor. Pump is 4' from the processor. Wired with what came with the units, looks to me like 12 gauge.

Its pulling 16 amps when the motors are hard over to one side and cant go any further, maybe 10 seconds to get hard starboard to hard port, pulling 6-8 amps when moving freely.

It is not a good idea to keep hitting the stops. If you have a hard over to hard of 10 seconds that is good. How far is the processor from your power panel and what size wire is that? the pump is pulling a little higher amps that we typically see for that model. The pump is a dash 12 rated for the 12v you are using? (yes it is possible to run a 24v pump off 12v but they eat more current) What exactly is the problem you are experiencing? If the breaker isn't popping and you have a 10 second hard over time in and out of the water; it should be working.

Johnny, we only hit the stops to simulate full load for an amperage reading. Processor is 5' from the power panel and again its wired with the supplied 12 gauge. The pump is a 12 v model. The problem we are having, and have been dealing with for the last 2 years, is that the manual states to install a 4-6 amp fuse for the processor when that obliviously is not enough to drive the pump. Until now I have not been able to get a straight answer that it is OK to use a 25 amp fuse without the risk of frying the processor.

With the NavPilot 500 series we used to use/recommend 30 amp breaker. With NP700 series we recommend no larger than 25 amp (for 12v). If yours is working and not blowing fuses or the breaker it sounds like you have no problem. If you see the spot in the manual you are referring shoot me a PM with the reference page and I will get it addressed. 4 amp fuse wouldn't work because the turn on current alone would blow that.

Sorry to piggyback here - I ordered the 711c system 2 years ago and am just now getting it all hooked up. Did it come with a factory power cable (which I might have misplaced) for the fap-7002? - or do I supply that myself?

Power input cable to the processor is local supply. Refer to the installation manual for details.

Back