TZT2/ PG700/ 711C- NMEA 2000 Network

T

TeamRezoned

Good morning,

We have replaced our old Navnet VX2 with a TZT2 and I am in the process of setting up a NMEA 2000 backbone so that our autopilot, heading sensor, and GPS/Radar can all share data. I would like to make sure I have the right plan for how to proceed to ensure that we are able to utilize the full capabilities of each component (Navigate-to, Sabiki mode, radar overlay, etc.)

System Components:
Navnet TZTouch 2
DRS4D NXT
PG700 Heading Sensor
FAP 7002 Processor Unit

My NMEA 2000 backbone consists of 4 Micro T's and terminating resistors on each end. Below is how I plan to wire the system:

T # 1- to TZT MFD

T # 2- Power Tap to Battery

T # 3- To FAP 7002- Hardwired directly to TB 11 on the processor unit

T # 4- To PG700

In addition to confirming that the above setup is correct, I have a couple more questions:

1. We previously had the 711C/PG700/FAP 7002 installed as a stand alone unit, not networked with the GPS/Radar. We cut the plug off the heading sensor and wired it directly to the FAP7002. When we did this, we had to use a power jumper from TB1 to TB12, as well as use a small resistor to bridge 2 of the wires at the processor unit to properly terminate the signal. If the FAP 7002 is tied in to the N2K network, is there any need for the power jumper and resistor, or can these be eliminated?

2. We are using a new NMEA 2000 cable to connect the PG700 heading sensor to the N2K backbone because we had to cut the connector off of the original cable to wire it directly to the FAP 7002. The N2k cable we are using has a male connector on the side that is connected to the PC700, and a female connector on the side that is to be connected to the N2k backbone. The N2K backbone Micro T's appear to be female, so they only accept male connectors...... is it acceptable to use a gender changer similar to "Actisense® NMEA 2000 Micro Gender Changer Cable (male to male)" to accommodate this connection?

Lastly, Which settings will I need to adjust in the TZT2 and 711C so that they are pulling the needed information from the N2K network?

I am looking forward to hearing your input. I have already learned so much from this process and appreciate the wealth of knowledge provided by this forum!!

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Good morning Team Rezoned,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1.) Those connections can be eliminated.
2.) You have a couple of options, you could purchase a new cable or you could use a gender changer. If you used a gender changer it might not comply with the NMEA2000 installation standards but it would work.
3.) On the TZT unit you will need to configure PGN Output data from the menu. You will also need to choose a navigation source. When you get everything wired up and turned on give our tech support number a call when your on the vessel. They will be able to walk you through the steps to send the proper data. 360.834.9300....

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

C Bass,

Thank you for the information. We have successfully installed the NMEA 2000 backbone and I believe the N2K network is working properly.

We do have a new problem.....

We installed the DRS4D-NXT radar, ran the radar cable down to the electronics box, hooked the red and blue wired to + and - power supply (Cut in line fuse out and ran directly to vessel's fuse box w/ 5A fuse), and connected the network Ethernet cable directly to the back of the TZT2.

When I powered up the TZT2, it does not show that there is any radar connected. This should not be a software issue as the TZT2 and DRS4d-NXT are both brand new. Based on my research, it sounds like the radar is either not getting power, or the Ethernet cable is bad. I am going back to the boat tomorrow with hopes of troubleshooting this issue. Below is my plan of attack:

1. Double check the power connections at the fuse box.
2. Pull cap off Radome and check voltage at radar sensor.
3. if radar sensor is receiving power, run a new Ethernet cable from Radar Sensor to TZT2 and see if that fixes the issue.

Is there any other troubleshooting measures I can take? Should the Radar source show up on the TXT2 as soon as it is powered on? Or will it take some time for it to show up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Good morning Team Rezoned,

Your troubleshooting plan is thoughtful and well laid out. In those steps you should be able to find your culprit.

Secondly, when the radar is connected you will still need to tell the TZT2 at which source you want to use for the radar. Because the TZT2 product can use more than one radar, even if just 1 is installed you have to tell the TZT2 where to find it.

Hit the home button, and choose settings.
Scroll down until you see the Radar menu
If you do not see the radar menu then it will likely be a power issue or an Ethernet as you addressed below.
If you do see a radar tab, then look at the "Radar Source" and if it is blank hit the drop down box and choose your antenna.

Radar Menu.JPG

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

C Bass,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am familiar with the process of telling the TZT2 where to find the radar. There is currently no radar showing up when I go through this process. I will take the above troubleshooting actions and report back once the issue is resolved.

Thank again!

Dan

Ok, I figured out our problem.

During installation, one of the small pins in the connector of the short power/LAN cable (that terminates in the DRS4d radome) is bent and loose. I was surprised to discover this, as I am usually very careful when connecting 2 cables, I know the pins can be fragile. I tried to straighten it out and re-connect, but could not make it work.

I think our best, and maybe only option, is to order a new cable. Just to clarify, I am referring to the short cable that exits the radome and has a male plug that connects to the longer cable coming from the MFD and power supply.

Is it possible to order just this short cable? I don't want to have to re-run the long cable if I don't have to. If so, could you please provide a part number? I have been unable to locate this part online anywhere.

I am looking forward to your input.

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, you can order it with your Furuno dealer. The part number is 000-191-106-10
This is just the Dome pigtail cable (1.4m).

Thank you guys!
I have located the cable and hope to receive it before our trip this weekend.
Furuno Support kicks ass!

Back