Installing PG-700 heading sensor for Navpilot 711C

A

Anonymous

I need a little help installing my PG-700 heading sensor. I looked at the wiring diagram that came with my system and I know that the heading sensor should connect to the NMEA0183 port 1 ( TB6 ) which it shows on the wiring diagram. but the color code wires listed on the wiring diagram doesn't match the color of wires I have on my PG-700 heading sensor. Mine has a shield wire, red wire, black wire, blue wire, white wire. The wiring diagram shows yellow wire, green wire, white wire, black wire, and a shield wire. I need to know which wire goes where and which port. Thanks so much if anyone can help.

Good afternoon Eric75,

The pg700 is a NMEA2000 device not a NMEA1083. Ideally there is already a NMEA2000 backbone in place with the correct terminating resistors and power tap. If you already have a NMEA 2000 backbone you can purchase a couple of "T" connectors and worker the pilot to 1 "T" and the PG700 to the other.

I recently installed my 711C auto pilot and I'm having a couple issues, which I'm pretty sure is an operator error on my behalf. My first question is when I go to engage the auto pilot I get an alarm and a message that says: No Compass Adjustment Data. I'm not really sure what I need to do to solve this error. And my second question, when I engage the auto pilot I notice on the screen it's asking me to set course. I currently have a furuno vx2 chartplotter but it's not connected to the plotter as of yet. All I really want to do is engage the auto pilot go on a straight course so I can fish or troll. I currently have my PG700 heading sensor hard wired into TB11 port on my processor and I went through the setup but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. And last if I wanted to connect my VX2 plotter to my 711C and I was going to use my NMEA 0183 port 1 which cable would I need to purchase? Thanks so much for the help.

Good evening Eric75,

You need to check the heading sensor if you get that error code. First, when the pilot starts up does it give you a good heading or does it say NG? When the pilot is fully booted it should show you a heading value, what is that value compared to say a magnetic compass at the helm?

Did you choose the PG700 as the source of heading in the installation menu in the data source setup page?

Did you perform a compass calibration yet?

The compass is wired into TB11, did you place a 1/4watt 120ohm reisistor accross the blue and white wires?

Does the PG700 have the terminator resistor light illuminated?

Couple of things to verify. Typically when the compass is valid all you have to do is push the auto button on the control head and the pilot will keep you steering at that heading.

To interface to a Vx2 we need to know what port on the Vx2 you plan to use? It could either be a 6pin or 7pin cable depending on the port.

Kind Regards,

C-Bass

Hi guys, sorry to but in but I have the same problem I think as Eric.
my PG 700 is showing 3 green lights after about 2 mins but when I turn on the controller, it does not pick up the heading sensor and shows NG on the start up.
This issue has only recently started as I have had the autopilot for about 2 years without any problems.
Can you help C-Bass please

Back