Linking NavNet VX2 to 711C Autopilot

T

TeamRezoned

Good morning,

We are going to be installing a Furuno 711cOB on our 33T Contender this weekend. We currently have a NavNet VX2 RDP 149 GPS and would like to be able to sync the auto pilot and GPS together so we can navigate to waypoints, use fish finding technology, etc. Does the 711c support the older VX2 gps networks? If so, which cable will we need to link them together, a NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183? Is there anything in particular I need to keep in mind when setting up the interfacing?

Another minor issue we have is that our current magnetic compass is consistently about 30 degrees off. I believe this is due to the speakers that are mounted in the hard top. Will the 711c be able use the digital heading sensor in our NavNet VX2 to confirm the heading?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Good morning TeamRezoned,

Thank you for your inquiry. The VX2 and the NavPilot 711C O/B can be linked together to support the navigation mode on the autopilot. This will need to be through a NMEA0183 interface. As for the specific cables we need to know what NMEA0183 port you plan to use on the RDP149 display. The RDP149 display has 2 ports (1,2) that could be used for this inteface. Port 1 is a 7 pin connection and port 2 is a 6 pin connection.

What magnetic flux gate compass is currently being used in the system?

C-Bass

Cbass,

Thank you for the prompt response. This is a prime example of why we stick with Furuno products instead of the competition.

I do not believe that we are currently utilizing any of the NMEA ports on our VX2. We are replacing a Simrad AP with the Furuno 711c but I do not believe that they have ever been linked together.

It is worth mentioning that we plan to upgrade the GPS to the TXTouch2 with DFF3D box in the next couple of months. Is there a single NMEA cable that will work with the VX2 now and then with the TZTouch2 when we upgrade down the road? If not, its not a huge deal.

As for the compass, we have a Ritchie compass but I am not sure of the model, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Good afternoon Team Rezoned,

The cable needed from the Vx2 to the NavPilot 711C would be a different cable than the TZT2 unit. The TZT2 unit does have (1) NMEA0183 output but it would be best to connect the TZT2 to the NavPilot 711C via N2K. If you did decide to use the (7pin) or (6pin) cable to interface the Vx2 to the NavPilot 711C, when the time comes you could cut off the (7pin) or (6pin) connector and wire it to a terminal strip and connect the TZT2 to the terminal strip for the NMEA0183 connection. However, i feel it would be best to do a N2K interface to the NavPilot when the TZT2 is installed.

As far as the Ritchie compass, if the compass has a NMEA0183 protocol output then it could be used to send data to the pilot. You could either do this from the Vx2 to the pilot or use another port on the compass to directly send data to the pilot from the compass. I don't know how many NMEA0183 ports the compass has so we would need to figure this out. Moving forward when the TZT2 is installed it will need a heading compass that is compatible with N2K. The TZT2 does not have any NMEA0183 inputs. You could continue to use the Ritchie compass or you could purchase the NavPilot 711C with the PG700. The PG700 is standard supply for the NavPilot 711C.

C-Bass,

Thank you for the detailed response.

We brought the boat back to Tallahassee in preparation for IRMA. I was able to install the head unit, and the processor unit with no issues last week. The 711c did come with the PG700 heading sensor, which I plan to install in the same place as the old Simrad heading sensor. I do have a question about how to connect the PG700 to the processor unit. The manual shows several different options for the installation, but none of them seem to be an option with the parts that I received (I have no junction box or T connector). If I am not mistaken, I should be able to cut the connector off of the PG700 cable and wire it directly into the processor unit. My issue is that I am not positive which ports on the processor unit I am supposed to wire the PG700 cable in to.

Here is what I believe to be the correct setup:

711c Head unit- One port has cable running to Processor unit, one port has terminator attached.

PC700- wired directly to processor unit (Which Port on processor unit?)

12V Power Supply- Wired to Processor Unit (We have done this and head unit has power)

NMEA0183- From RDP149 GPS to Processor Unit (Which Port on processor unit?)

FURUNO HRP17 Pump- Wired to Processor Unit

Please let me know if this is the correct setup and provide any input you may have on the wiring of the PG700 heading sensor into the processor unit.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

Good morning Dan,

Thank you for your response. There are a couple of ways to interface the heading sensor to the autopilot. Rather than cut off the connector I would prefer to proceed by creating a small N2K backbone. This will require a power tap, (2) terminating resistors and (2) T-connectors. By doing this it will allow the Pilot and the PG700 to work together, it will also prep your vessel for future integration of the TZT2 boxes that you mentioned. If you cut off the connector and directly wire to the Pilot Processor, that cable will need to either be replaced or attach a field connector when you plan to upgrade. So my thoughts is start with a good foundation that will not require too many extra parts and pieces, then it sets up for a more usable configuration when you plan to retrofit.

Hope that makes sense.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to google "NMEA2000 Starter Kit" find one that comes with a "power tap," (2) Terminating Resistors, (2) T-Connectors, and (2) NMEA2000 drop cables.

Then it is just a matter of connecting the power tap to 12vdc, and creating a small N2K backbone.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Back