furuno GPS navigator to Raymarine st6001 smart pilot

A

Anonymous

First, I am a complete newby so forgive my lack knowledge.
I have a nice furuno GPS Navigator (no exact model name this moment but will get it)
I also have a old Raymarine auto pilot ST6100 Smart pilot system hooked up and controls the rudder nicely.
What I am trying to figure out is, can the Furuno GPS talk to the autopilot computer?
My goal here would be to have a laptop running mapping software that can set a course.
I will add the pics might help
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B70mSP ... sp=sharing

The GPS you show will only output NMEA0183. If you are trying to set a course on the laptop then you would need to interface the laptop to the ST6100.
If you want to put a waypoint into the GPS, (I believe it is a GP30 or GP31), it would depend on if the Raymarine ST6100 accepts NMEA0183.

The Furuno GP-30 has the 1.5 or 2.0 NMEA output options I tried both.
Didnt work. Connecting the white/blue +/- wires from the furuno to the st6100 nmea or control head NMEA connections didnt do anything. I did see 2.0 vlts pulsing out from the furuno.
I will try to output from a PC with a GPS attached via usb serial adpater next.
Thank you for the answers and help.

I think the problem is the Raymarine isn't using the standard marine RS422 level NMEA.
I have seen this before on some of their pilots where they use RS232 instead. You might call Raymarine and ask them what level is used on that pilot. You are using the RS422 output of the GPS (white and blue) and it won't work correctly if they are needing RS232. The good thing is the GP30 also offers a RS232 output if you need it. (Yellow and Blue)

Super cool Johnny, I will try that shortly. thank you so much. This is a 42' flat steel boat and without auto pilot its a bear to steer.

Back