500 Series Autopilot Pump rudder failure

G

Grady28

Hi,

My NAVpilot has worked great until this past Saturday while canyon fishing. When I went to use it, it kept turning hard over. I checked the manual and it said to check the pump. Any suggestion on what it could be and what exactly am I supposed to check?

1) How would I know if it needed more hydraulic fluid and where do you add it? Manual steering is working fine.
2) Could there be air in the line? How do I tell?
3) Any other suggestions? Friend said to maybe check connections and clean them. But, what connections?

The pump is a HRP11 and looks a bit corroded. Hoping I don't need to replace that as they run $600+.

Boat is a 2006 Grady White 330 Express with VX2 units.

Any tips you might be able to provide, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Photo of pump.

Attachments

• Autopilot Pump.JPG
    Autopilot Pump.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 2,733
I would recommend calling tech support while you are at the boat. (410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300) I would setup the rudder reference unit and then run the rudder test and see what it says.

Johnny Electron":27pylqd8 said:
I would recommend calling tech support while you are at the boat. (410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300) I would setup the rudder reference unit and then run the rudder test and see what it says.

Sir,

While I was offshore, I tried to run a rudder test but it failed. Got a rudder drive error on display. I'm not sure how to setup the rudder reference you mentioned. Anyhow, when I turn on unit, the rudder display seems to be stuck on left at 8 degrees or so.

Any other suggestions? Does this sound like it needs a new pump or just a knock with a hammer (joking..perhaps).....

Thanks,
David

P.S. Regarding the display, is there anyway to upgrade to a newer display like NAVPILOT 711C? Not sure if they share same processor and pump?

Moving to the NavPilot 700 series would require new processor, control head(s) and the wiring in-between. You can reuse the RRU and pump if they are good.

I would disconnect the pump and connect it direct to power to see if you can move the pump without the pilot. If it doesn't work, then it's the pump. You can setup the RRU (found in the install manual) to see if the rudder angle will work after properly configured.

I tested the pump and it worked fine. I contacted tech support and they are thinking it is a problem with the rudder reference indicator unit (part FAPAR4502). I have no idea what this looks like or where to find it on an outboard boat???

Back