Furuno autopilot on NMEA compass

Nick

Furuno Super Fan
Hi,

We have Furuno autopilot with 7001 display installed on iron fishing vessel. The course keeping is not good, and we tried many things but without success. I have one quality NMEA 0183 compass with pickoff coil or course detector, and I would like to try with that because vessels compass is very good and compensated. Can I connect this compass on this pilot instead Furuno compass just for test? With Furuno compass the vessel turns to port or starboard after 10 to 120 seconds. We didn't discover why, but the compass is calibrated thru autopilot software, so I don't understand, but I would like to try with another compass.
Thanks

Nick,

Can you inform me of the NMEA 0183 Compass you plan on testing the autopilot with?

Regards,

Mr.Radar

It is a new in the box (never used) Cetrek model 930687 software version 2.4 pick off coil system. I already installed a few on fishing vessels and it working very good. I would like just to test with. What are You think about that?
Thanks

Nick we don't have any tech data on the Cetrek. Maybe discuss this with them and see if you can find out how their device communicates.

Hi,

I discussed with them already. Nothing spectacular. Pick off coil connected to the interface which converts analog signal to digital. Choice of three digital signals possible (Cetrek, n+1 and NMEA). I will select setup for NMEA 0183 HDM sentence 4800bps. The problem can be only 5Hz update?

Nick
There are different levels of NMEA 0183 such as RS232 and RS422. Please ensure you are matching the correct levels or this might be your problem. At 5hz, it would be the same freq level as the defaulted PG500 comes with the NavPilot 500 series. It will most likely be missing the rate sensor, so the performance will not be as good if you do it get to function. The NavPilot 700 comes with the PG700 compass and unless on a metal boat, I would recommend using it. I have no experience or technical data on the Cetrek. Please contact your local dealer/distributor or Cetrek.

So, do You recommend PG700 on iron vessel or no? I have one GPS compass from Hemisphere, Vector 102. I would like to connect it directly to the NMEA 0183 port. It is programmed for 10Hz heading but on RS232 levels, and I can pass thru 232 to 422 level converter for autopilot heading signal. What You think? I'm asking this because this is the iron vessel, and I think that the PG700 will not provide stable heading signal. PG700 is already installed and autopilot is not keeping course in auto.
Thanks
Nick

Nick,

Where it comes to a steel vessels, I would absolutely use a Satellite Compass for the Heading, and NOT use the PG700. Utilizing the Hemisphere Vector 102 should work perfectly for Heading into the Autopilot, including using a Level Converter from 232 to 422 is the correct action to take to do so.

Good Luck,

Deep Blue - ;)

Thanks, that what I thought, but that compass was installed already. I will try with Vector.

Back