NAVpilot 711 power steer question

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am reading on this site about the power steering mode on my auto pilot. I do have the ps8 module installed on my pump. I have helms that are hard to turn and they are tearing up my shoulder. I am under the impression that power steering mode should eliminate the need of a mechanical power steering unit powered off the motor. Is there more information on how to activate "power steer" mode? The manual that came with my autopilot says nothing about it.

Thanks

The FPS8 is required for the safe helm and power assist feature. It isn't power steering only an extra assistance. The feature is selectable in the installation mode one the FPS8 is installed.

I have an external mechanical helm, and an internal hydraulic helm.
The autopilot FAP-7011 is going to act on the rudder via an HRP 11-12 (that I just bought) and a hydraulic cylinder.

The mechanical steering is quite heavy.

Will the FPS8 module provide any benefit (in making the steering easier) when steering the boat through the mechanical helm?

Thanks for your reply

No the FPS8 has flow sensors to determine when someone is moving the helm (via the hydraulics) then it will boost the movement by kicking on the pilot pump to assist with that movement. (hence power assist)

In your case, if you are using mechanical linkage steering when your pilot isn't engaged, the flow sensors will sense nothing and would have no idea that it needs to "assist" you.

Back