"Rudder drive error"

1hawnfisherman

HELP!!!!, Just installed a nav pilot 711 , everything works fine with no problems under 10 kts , but when the vessel reaches 10 kts and faster an error message comes out "Rudder drive error please turn off and check drive circuit" appears. Is there some parameter issue that I'm missing? Any help with this matter will be grately appreciated. :questions

Please provide a bit more information.
What drive unit are you using?
What type and size is your boat?
What is the displacement of the steering cylinder(s)?

Also, when you ran the rudder test what was the deadband value?

Hi Meville , sorry took so long, here's my information, the boat's 24 ft plaining hull,drive unit is a HRP 11-12L , steering cylinder is a seastar BA-135-7 , also when the rudder test was done the screen said rudder speed ok and deadband ok , it didn't give a deadband value. Hope you can use this info.

Thanks.

Over 10 knots there is more pressure on the rudder. The system is giving command and the rudder is not turning. There is probably air in the system even though it passed the rudder test.

Try going back into the air bleeding mode and really work the rudder hard over-to-hard over. Keep pressing the arrow for a few seconds when the rudder hits the HO stops. Do it many times over to be sure the system has been bleed.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Hi Melville , we bled the steering system and the problem still the same, I was looking at the rudder and notice that there's like no leading edge, do you thing that could be the problem?

I should have asked earlier, but is this an inboard or outboard boat? :huh

When you are under 10 knots and with the pilot in Auto what happens when you dial in a 90 degree course change?

It is very difficult to diagnose an autopilot without being on the boat. If you are in the US perhaps you can call our tech support while you are on the vessel.

It's an inboard boat , and yes we're in Hawaii, will try the course change under 10 kts, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Do you have a feedback installed or are you running it as Fantum feedback?

When you originally set up the system what value did you set for the port and starboard rudder? I usually just use 35-35 or 40-40 degrees. I also set the auto rudder limits to about 25-30 degrees, at least 5 degrees less than your rudder limits. You also want to make the limits and adjustments linear.
You might try a master reset and redo the installation set-up. Your pump should have no problem driving your steering ram as it is only 8.3 cu.in. If you decide to try this please note the drive unit percentage when the rudder test is done.

Hi Melville, this may sound like a dumb question but how do I do a master reset?

thanks

Open the [INSTALLATION] and [SYSTEM
SETUP] menus. Select [ALL CLEAR] and [YES] to restore all default settings.

Hi Melville , I tried the reset and the pilot still does the same thing. Anymore suggestions?

Hi Melville, we solved the problem , it was the rudder, not enough leading edge.
Thanks for your help

Back