Mounting Location Processor Unit FAP-7002

AvalonGB

In the process of installing a NavPilot 711c on board Avalon our 1990 46' Grand Banks Classic. I see in the installation manual its recommended that the unit be mounted in a location where temperature and humidity are moderate and stable. The location must also be easily accessible and at least 1 meter from any communications equipment. The ideal location from an accessibility and wiring perspective would be on the forward bulkhead in the engine room. However I'm concerned that the engine room bulkhead would not meet the "where temperature and humidity are moderate and stable". There is lots of space and we do have numerous other systems in the engine room including refrigerator compressors, inverters and the environment is dry and well ventilated. The engine room does get warm on very hot days while underway, engines are 3208 210NA CATS and are never run very hard for extended periods.

Anyone have any thoughts on mounting the FAP-7002 control unit on the forward engine room bulkhead - are temps going to be too extreme? I have not been able to locate any specifics on the units operating temperature range. Thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated.

The temp needs to stay under 135 degree F. On a hot summer day, in the engine room, it most likely will not meet that requirement.

Thanks Johnny. I thought no to the engine room might be the answer. Too bad as it was such an accessible location. I'll keep searching for a suitable location.

Back