Need Advice on Installation - 711C Autopilot (Outboard)

seaveepete

Furuno Super Fan
I've spent the last two weekends installing a new 711C AP system on my boat. Took longer than expected because I had challenges with locating the PG700 and also decided to replace ALL hydraulic steering hoses.
I've got everything plumbed back up and need to purge the system now. I'm looking for advice on how to purge the Seastar steering system (helm plus HC5345 ram) properly. By that I mean, how to manually run the AP pump in a controlled manner to purge air from the lines. I know how to fill/purge a normal system without the AP pump. Looking for some advice specific to systems with the pump. The AccuSteer manual with the pump was useless.

Thanks,
Pete

BTW - This 711C install is a pain. Had I known that the 711C AP setup was not "plug-and-play" and would require stripping all those 20 gauge wires from the heading sensor and control unit and trying to insert them into those tiny connector blocks I would have gone with the Garmin. Come on Furuno!!!

Have you tried the method using the port/starboard buttons described in the installation manual?

Yes, followed the 711 manual and also reviewed the Seastar purging procedure for the helm. It wasn't an easy job and took multiple attempts because each time you do the purge you create really tiny bubbles that take time to coalesce. After three purging attempts, each time sequentially using the AP pump and then the helm, it was just satisfactory. There is still air in the system.
It's a messy job.
The system is working but haven't given it a real test yet. Hopefully more purging is not going to be required.

i just installed a new NavPilot 711c AP and cant activate it. i have done the settings and it is taking me to the installation mode all the time. i need help here what do i do to get it to function as an autopilot?

Good afternoon Godwin,

Thank you for your question, from you message it appears that you have gone through the dockside setup menus. Including the following:

Language- Choose language of operation

Units Setup- Choose units for measurement and speed

Display Setup- Select the display settings and characteristics

Ship's Characteristics: Boat Type, Rudder Sensor (installed or Phantom mode), Boat Length, Cruise Speed, Rate of turn.

Have you performed the Dockside Setup procedures?
Select RRU Type
RRU Sensor Alignment
Air Bleeding
Rudder Limit Setup: This one is important
Auto Rudder Limit
Manual Rudder Limit
Rudder Test: Did it pass this test.

Please confirm the following procedures have been accomplished and that the system passed the rudder test. After that we can move to the next setup procedure and choose the sensor sources.

Test didn’t pass, I could get to “ air bleeding” and then noticed that the steering system has issues. I am not onboard the vessel at the moment but will go back to them to complete the installation in four days time. Thank you so much for the response I appreciate it so much.
Godwin

Back