Deadband is too big to control vessel

mdsilvers

I just installed a backup autopilot for my sailing vessel. I have the FAP - 5002 and now the new FAP 7002 with the 711C navpilot.

I have the Jefa drive motor with clutch. I've used the Jefa drive for over three years with the FAP 5002 and had no issues.

I wired the Jefa to the FAP 7002 and did my dockside setup. I keep getting the "Deadband is too big to control the vessel" and not sure what is wrong. I do not get this error when I use the FAP 5002 and do the dockside setup. Rate of turn is 5.2deg/sec.

Thanks!

Deadband is not rate of turn speed, but how sloppy the rudder response is. If there is a lot of play in the rudder, it will cause the deadband to be too big. The autopilot is not able control the rudder properly. It is odd that the 500 series worked and the 700 doesn't because it is built on the same basic technology. Have you tried manually setting the deadband?

I've had this same issue commissioning a NavPilot 700. The pump is a solenoid controlled Accusteer. If I ignore the warning and manually set the deadband down to 0.7 deg, the boat steers fine and the rudder doesn't hunt. If I reduce it down to about 0.5 deg then it starts to hunt. So ti looks like the rudder can be controlled to +/- 0.7deg, but the dockside rudder test can't figure that out.

Back