MaxSea weather routing and autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

northcaptain

Furuno Super Fan
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum and i have the intent of adding the weather routing module to my current MaxSea explorer. But i wonder if the dynamic route generated by the weather module can be used by the Furuno Navpilot ? If so that would mean the MaxSea would be driving the autopilot ? Can someone explain how should that work ?

I understand the weather routing is much used by offshore racers so there must be a way to drive the autopilot with it but what happens then with the "wind" feature of the autopilot ? And is the autopilot connected through the NMEA2000 connection of the MaxSea ?

Regards

André
S/V Impermanence
MFD12-DRS4D-GP33-RD33-FA50-FAX30-FI50-NAVPILOT711-MaxSeaExplorer

André,

When using the MaxSea Weather Routing Module, you will enter your desired destination and then MaxSea will use the available data like weather and vessel performance data, as well as other user-selectable parameters, to create the optimal Route to that destination. This Route is made up of many individual dynamic waypoints. As conditions change, these dynamic waypoints will change as well, to keep within your preset parameters.

Once you start using the MaxSea Weather Routing Module, you would no longer use the Wind Mode in the NavPilot.

MaxSea can send the waypoint data directly to the NavPilot 711 using the NMEA0183 data connection. Or, if your NavPilot 711 is connected to the MFD12, the MaxSea PC can be connected via. Ethernet to the MFD12 and send the data through the network.

There is no direct NMEA2000 connection between the NavPilot and the PC running MaxSea.

I will look into this further and get back to you if I find that there are other specifics you need to know. I just didn't want your question to go unanswered any longer.

Hurricane

André,

I have some corrections and updated information regarding my last response.

It is true that the MaxSea Weather Routing Module (WRM) will create a Route that is made up of many individual waypoints. However, they are not dynamic as I had previously stated.

These waypoints will not automatically change as the conditions change, to keep up with your preset parameters. Instead, when you want to compute an updated routing, (because you have downloaded a new weather file, for instance), you will need to manually launch a new routing calculation in MaxSea.

It was also pointed out to me that in "real-world applications" the MaxSea WRM would not be used in that manner. The route computed by the WRM is actually more of a guideline "path" for you to follow.

It isn't possible for forecast data to be accurate enough to allow the MaxSea WRM to give you a "turn by turn" path between each point. As an example; slight variation in wind direction from what was in the original forecast, can mean you may have to tack between waypoint 3 and waypoint 4, even though that wasn't part of the original calculation.

I hope this helps.

Hurricane

Hi Hurricane,

Thanks for your response, this knowledge transfer is very valuable and will save me and other readers hours of experimenting. I understand also that the WRM is more for guidance and one can easily draw a route over it and send it to the Navpilot.

When you said previously that the MaxSea PC has no direct connection to the Navpilot (through NMEA2000) do you mean it would be better practice to lay a NMEA0183 connection between the MaxSea and the NavPilot - just in case ?

Regards

Andre

Andre,

My point in mentioning that there was no direct NMEA2000 connection between the MaxSea PC and the pilot was to clarify that point only.

There are a number of ways to connect the different electronic components you have on your vessel. Personally, I am not a fan of connecting two devices through a third device, unless there is not other option. Of course, there are many times when one must do this, but if it isn't necessary, I don't recommend it.

If your MaxSea PC is the primary navigation tool to drive the pilot, I feel it should be connected directly to the pilot. You can still send an output to the other equipment on your vessel, but a direct connection between the two is my preferred method.

So, if you can, I would run a NMEA0183 connection from the MaxSea PC to your pilot.

I hope this helps.

Hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back